i want to know can i create two SSID or 2 access points on 1 modem

• Thread starter Thread starter AKS020
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 33
  • Views Views 4,894
Like I mentioned in post #3, possible ONLY IF your wifi router allows it. Check out
Linksys X3500 X3500 N750 Dual-Band Wireless Router with ADSL2+ Modem and USBNetgear DGND3700 N600 WIRELESS DUAL BAND GIGABIT ADSL2+ MODEM ROUTER
Both models are adls modem cum wifi router. They are also IP6 compliant & have USB ports for sharing printers/ext HDD. There are some TP-Link models also, you can check their site for further details. :)
'Guest Access provides Internet access only; it does not provide access to the local network and its resources .Guest Access helps minimize exposure of your local network .To give Internet access to friends or family, provide the guest network name and password.

From your first post you have not mentioned if the modem you are using is your own or rented from MTNL. I presume its a MTNL piece. Since you want to buy a wifi router to support 2 SSID’s. You will have to decide on the following points.

[*]Do you want to buy a separate wifi router only? Ie you continue with your current MTNL modem, or
[*]Do you want to buy your own ADSL modem cum wifi router (you will save on the rent). If yes then
[*]Would you want to stream music/video in future? You have to consider all this for in future if you have a need to stream audio/video then you might have to buy another unit. I suggest you decide right now & furure proof your purchase.
[*]Ensure that whatever you buy its IP6 compatible. It’s something you will face in future.
[/list]Of course is the modem you currently have is your own then you will have to buy a wifi router only (like me) but you will should points 3 & 4 from above.

Sir, his router is capable of multiple SSIDs. All he needs to do now is to configure it. I do not think he is wanting to buy one, but I could be wrong...

AKS020 said:
mine is MTNL 450TC1
AS I posted in first post first SSID will be for me only
i dont want to reveal password to anyone
and if modems allows 2nd SSID i will give it to mine friend liviing in same building and then i can deactivate access point whenever i want for 2nd SSID and because mine first SSID will be on i think for 15 hours per day and only for mine use i dont want to share the password of that one .
yes if guest SSID can be possible then it will be good.
He has a MTNL 450TC1 (post #10) & if my memory serves me correct it does not allow a second SSID so he will have to buy a new unit.

I think the modem actually has multiple SSID creation with or without password(isn't this the same modem as what unFAirtel used to give?) but not sure if it treats the second ssid as a guest & prevents network access. Good if it does though. D-Link and some others do have guest id creation.But from what OP wants to do. I think he can create the second ssid give it a password & then ask the friend to just remember that settings & turn it on or off whenever he wants in this modem itself, but it's gonna be quite annoying logging in and out every time just to freakin do so! Other, again, annoying option as mentioned is put his friend on Mac filter& toggle between allow or deny access whenever necessary.Because with password and no Mac filter, any device can be used on it & then added headache of monitoring software & all will be needed to know who's on your connection! Some modems allow you to see the devices connected. Moreover these days all sorts of programs are there to #@ck & learn device ID or IP & spoofing would enable non detection of others piggybacking! :(

socrates said:
'Guest Access provides Internet access only; it does not provide access to the local network and its resources .Guest Access helps minimize exposure of your local network .To give Internet access to friends or family, provide the guest network name and password.
how to access one computer with another using local network?

Just check out http://socrates0.blogspot.in/2012/01/setting-up-of-mtnls-b450tc1-modem-cum.html follow the instructions to enter the settings page & look around. Do not make changes. From what I recollect of this unit it DOES NOT allow a second SSID but I could be wrong as it was long time ago I did the settings. But since someone here has mentioned that its possible no harm in checking before going to the next step.

Back