Indian Cricket Season 2012

• Thread starter Thread starter SVK
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 841
  • Views Views 47,981
Test cricket is still number 1 .. Its the only format that tests the skills , patience of a player unlike t20s which is total bang bang and 50 overs cricket ... I think if you ask the players themselves 80% will say test cricket is real cricket ... Its not like its not fun to watch one has to have patience and as a spectator seeing on tv u dont need to see the full match u can see it in bits and pieces ...

In leisure I would like to watch a Test match, but in fast-paced life, unfortunately need to skim through here & there

Test cricket is still number 1 .. Its the only format that tests the skills , patience of a player unlike t20s which is total bang bang and 50 overs cricket ... I think if you ask the players themselves 80% will say test cricket is real cricket ... Its not like its not fun to watch one has to have patience and as a spectator seeing on tv u dont need to see the full match u can see it in bits and pieces ...

Where is test cricket no 1?? in ratings certainly not, Neither we see packed stadiums during test matches. As for the players they are conditioned to say test is real cricket since it's 100 years old and they play more first class test matches than one dayers.

T20 is certainly bang bang, But Odi's cannot be compared with T20. It is fair to both bowlers & batsman and gives them ample opportunities.

Everything is for a reason but now a days ODIs are totally out of favor.The guys who watched Tests around 80s and 90s will tell you how boring they were. People were happy with boring draws and the strike rate at the most was 2.5 rpo, generally around 1.somethingWith the advent of aggressive ODIs (read Greatbach, Jayasurya, Saeed Anwar) the pace was taken to tests as well. Australia was the first to do so. Gradually it made tests more entertaining where in teams wanted to win rather than draws.Further creation of Ranking system(although flawed to some extent) and T20s further increased the tempo of the game in test cricket.Now test cricket is the best form of cricket when played against almost equal teams. T20 is always entertaining since even Zimbabwe and Bangladesh too have a great chance in beating any team

Bro ratings itself dont judge a format .. Ratings are more from where does the advertising revenue come from .. Agreed that test cricket does not bring in money interms of tv revenue and stadiums being packed but my memories of great matches are more from test than odis ... I remember India Pak series in which kumble took 10 wkts at delhi, in chennai when india faltered after tendulkar got out and India lost by a small margin .. i remember eden garden test win against Aus .. Its not like its not fun to watch .. Agree one cant sit throughout the day but again that way even odis have lost their charm now ... I cant sit through a full ODI game .. The only time i saw few full ODI games were during WC 2011 ...You ask any of the players that would they like to win a odi series in australia or a test series and I give a blind bet they will choose test series .. The money has spoiled the game .. Right now you enjoy T20 but trust me after 5 years you will find that BORING too .. Will they come out with T10s then ???As for your last part ODIs are heavily in favor of batsmen and not for bowlers at all .. And I beleive a new rule change is coming in which bowlers can bowl 2 bouncers per over but after power plays only 4 fielders allowed outside the circle .. So do you think ODIs will favor both batters and bowlers ??

Pujara scores a century. Raina fails - I think they should play Badrinath or Rahane in 2nd Test.

Raina is a awesome odi/t20 player but he is just not cut out for test cricket .. you are right they should play rahane in 2nd test ...

But the funny part is - he has been falling more often to the spinners than the seamers.

But the funny part is - he has been falling more often to the spinners than the seamers.

Seems he put in more effort to practice against short balls and forgot about spinners :)

Bro ratings itself dont judge a format .. Ratings are more from where does the advertising revenue come from .. Agreed that test cricket does not bring in money interms of tv revenue and stadiums being packed but my memories of great matches are more from test than odis ... I remember India Pak series in which kumble took 10 wkts at delhi, in chennai when india faltered after tendulkar got out and India lost by a small margin .. i remember eden garden test win against Aus .. Its not like its not fun to watch .. Agree one cant sit throughout the day but again that way even odis have lost their charm now ... I cant sit through a full ODI game .. The only time i saw few full ODI games were during WC 2011 ...

You ask any of the players that would they like to win a odi series in australia or a test series and I give a blind bet they will choose test series .. The money has spoiled the game .. Right now you enjoy T20 but trust me after 5 years you will find that BORING too .. Will they come out with T10s then ???

As for your last part ODIs are heavily in favor of batsmen and not for bowlers at all .. And I beleive a new rule change is coming in which bowlers can bowl 2 bouncers per over but after power plays only 4 fielders allowed outside the circle .. So do you think ODIs will favor both batters and bowlers ??

Tell me how many watch all the test matches. Now a days no one has time but they follow it on Cricinfo, Twitter & FB. There are not many people watching Tests all over the world. The recent Eng Vs SA series was more popular for the battle for #1, there was lots of interest but the crowds were not as good as expected even in England!

Anyways Just go back and watch 80s/90s test matches, I mean the video of whole match, you will definitely fall asleep.Have you seen the matches of SL Vs Pak, NZ Vs WI? They were very very boring too
The fact is that the test matches are interesting only when it is between better teams!

Players might like Tests but cricket/marketing wont work on their interest, it money which drives it.

No matter what changes are made to ODIs, they wont be as appealing since people like T20 for its entertainment and speed, Tests is for purists, no one to support ODIs. Infact they look long now a days and one sided contests will not help either!

Mate what you say is true to an extent. Not many have time to watch a test match but that doesent mean they stop playing test matches because of commerical value or reduce the number ( which is reducing only . 1st they used to have 3-5 test matches now 2 and 4 are the norm ) ...Money alone cannot determine a sport, today people find t20 exciting after 10 years what will they have t10s and t5s ??I agree test matches are no fun if played between unbalanced sides .. but doesent that also make it interesting ?? T 20 is like a lottery WI can beat a good team like SA or Pak but can it do the same in test matches ?? Its here that a team and players mettle is tested .. wont it be nice to see a weaker side winning a test match against a better opposition ?? Your last statement is totally to the point t20s for entertainment and speed and test for purist and ODIs are stuck somewhere inbetween ..

Back