• Replies Replies 35
  • Views Views 13,462

Sushubh

Admin
Staff member
ISP
Excitel
Airtel
I am looking to replace my current system (P4 1.8 with 1 Gig RAM).I have three possible scenarios...I go for the Intel Quad Core and spend the inflated prices.I go for Intel Core 2 Duo and spend medium level prices.I get a budget system with AMD 4000+ and get a decent Vista Ultimate compatible machine.I do not exactly play games. But do some video conversion for my portable media player and run tons of memory intensive software at a given time...What would you suggest.

Get a cheapest intel core2duo e4300 and overclock it to 2.8 ghz :) . It is best you can get at cheapest price and would beat athlon 4000+ anytime . If you got good budget then quad core :) . Maybe you should wait a bit till intel unleashes penryn in market and amd's barcelona becomes available for desktop's at good rate .

Dude, have patience, wait til Jan!I have a 2-yr old p4 2.4ghz with 512mb RAM and I'm also thinking of upgrading...My heart is set on the Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (2.4ghz i think), but I will wait til Jan to get an idea of the CPU market after AMD launches their "native" quadcore Phenom and Intel their 45nm Penryns.Even if the new CPUs are not that great and costly, at least the current q6600 will still be there and might even get another price cut...Then I plan on getting that with 2gb RAM (in Jan with WinXP) and a motherboard with onboard gfx which can handle Vista AERO and which can later be upgraded to 4gb RAM and will take a GPU.The next step will be to wait for Vista SP1 (which will have DirectX 10.1), and wait for dx10.1 GPUs to arrive and prices to settle. Then I'll add the GPU and 2gb RAM, dump XP/Ubuntu 32-bit and go for Vista and Linux 64-bit... wooooI'm salivating just thinking about these plans...According to PriceGuru.in the q6600 is Rs. 12,500/-In any case Jan should be a good time to buy whether it's a AMD or Intel, quad or dual core...

I think a e4400 + intel d965ryck mb system with plenty of ram should be good enough for anything. It is economical and you can spend on a grfx card if you want.

brr. i have a four year old p4 1.8 and 1 gig ram. and i have vista ultimate purchased copy with me. wanted to use it. i guess i would wait.

According to PriceGuru.in the q6600 is Rs. 12,500/-

That is so wrong! I've bought the same processor for my friend. The clock speed is 2.33 Ghz, and the price was somewhere near 6-7k (max). Bought the machine from Computer Empire, Nehru Place.

hey, where did you buy vista from (off indiatimes?) and how much did it cost?does the retail vista DVD include both 32 and 64 bit? that means you get both?

got it from the company store in the US. pretty cheap... it came with 2 DVDs. so both editions. good deal if you know anyone in MS.

@apoorv: something is fishy... the q6600 (quadcore) is 2.4 ghz. that must be a dualcore E6600 (not Q) you got. Or you got swindled :)

duh. i hate the new nomenclature from intel...it used to be great. p4 and some speed numbers. now it is all like graphic cards... 8600 won't do. there are some code words which would specify the kind of card you are buying. :(

Back