Intel Core 2 Duo or AMD 4000+

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 35
  • Views Views 13,462
i am an intel guy ..
went through reviews guess the wolfdale processor( penryn dual core ) shoul be around 5-10% ahead of Qx6850 which is not available here as yet, the reviews are against q6800 so guess qx 6850 should be good ebough if you do not want to change your motherboard like in my case.
for those who want to flex muscles yorkfield( penryn quad core) is the thing, the prices should be challenging on this one..
i expect when these new chios come qx6850 price should fall down

AnandTech: Intel Penryn Performance Preview: The Fastest gets Faster
Legit Reviews - Intel Penryn 3.33GHz Processor Benchmarks - Intel Releases Wolfdale & Yorkfield Benchmark Numbers

Ya, in any case the next 3-4 months should be interesting...

Even if Yorkfield is 20% faster than a Q6600 it will mostly be due to higher clock speed. And the price will certainly be more than 20% higher :)

I believe even the Yorkfield quadcore will be 2 dualcores fused together and not "native" quadcore like AMD's, the only advantage being it's 45nm where the Q6600 and new AMDs are 65nm, and even 45nm wont bring the power/heat dissipation down by much...

So I'm betting that the Q6600 will be a sweet deal in Jan, but anything can happen between now and then...

If AMD can place their new quadcore Phenom X4 at the same speed/price/performance level as the Q6600 then I will go for it instead of the Q6600 :)

update:

Oh forgot to post some links about AMD and Intel possibly making triple-core CPUs! :)

A true/native triple core (such as the xbox360 cpu) is actually neat because each core has a direct link to the other 2 cores. with quad and higher you have additional "hops" to traverse... so a triple-core might actually be as good as or better (faster?) than a quad!

Is AMD readying three-core processors? - Engadget

AMD prepares three-core processors

but from these links it looks like it wont be native tri-core just "defective" quads!

Oh this native thing is more or less BS,what we want is performance and value..Lets see how long AMD can hold without doing an MCM..Penryn has 5-10% IPC increase + bumped up clock due to 45nm..Tricore comes out of poor yields,thats clear as anything..Barcelona has poor yields,so what if one core isnt good,blow the fuse and sell it as a tri core to desktop.If im not wrong,there wont be a tricore for server platforms (2P+)..and core is a wonderfully tolerant architecture to latency.45nm HKMG will show its benefits only by time..

Thats not entirely correct. I can't offer any proof but I have seen c2d and pentium d (same clock speed) operating and I can see the difference. I agree, however, that better performance is what matters.Lets hope that AMD survives their merger with ATI and the resultant financial problems. Otherwise we will be left with a monopoly, which everybody knows, is not a good thing.

Thats because P-D is based on netburst and c2d on core.core blows netburst away in IPC.. hence the difference..

In Jan it's going to be Q6600 (or Yorkfield) vs Phenom X4 !

When will the core wars end - at 64 or 128? Are people planning to run weather simulation and prediction software on their desktops?I am not a processor nut and can't afford to be one. Let the computer industry spend their money on improving the memory and hard disk performance instead. It is irritating to wait for one minute while the os polishes its nails and gets ready to boot. Instant startup, shut down, file loads and saves - that is what I want.

Sun's "Niagara 2" UltraSPARC T2 CPU is cool - 8 simple cores with some on-chip goodies. Intel and AMD will surely move to 8 cores next for servers at least. And Intel has demonstrated (?) some 80-core tech I read somewhere.Ya, disk storage is the next battleground, and these solid-state drives (SSD) are at the infancy stage now but in a few years we should see affordable 100+ GB drives which should multiply the data-transfer speeds.

update:Bah, Intel's IDF is running now... Looks like my buying plans for Jan will be pushed back to Apr :( because "mainstream" Penryns are coming only in Q1'08 along with (unconfirmed) AMD's Phenom X4. Will need to be more patient to get a hot new quadcore desktop...

Here's an AMD propaganda video on YouTube about their quadcore vs. Intel's

Last edited by a moderator:

Back