Is IPv6 working in Maharashtra?

• Thread starter Thread starter !!..PD..!!
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 33
  • Views Views 2,234
ISP
BSNL FTTH
Hey,

Just wanted to know if IPv6 is working for anyone in Maharashtra (any district)? BSNL guy is saying that it is not yet provisioned in Maharashtra.

I am getting IPv6 address but IPv6 shows no internet and does not work. If someone has it working, I can take it further with BSNL employees.

Thanks.

i get an IPv6 address but it's not routable nor can you access any site with it. In other words it's just like a pvt. IP address so v6 implementation in name only. They most likely they need to change their backend routers for v6 compatibility and lack funds to do it. Let it go.

I'm taking it up with BSNL. Let's see what they have to say. When I asked the BSNL team about IPv6 they didn't even know what it is so that may be the reason why address is provided but no internet access over IPv6.

Btw, I'm in Amravati District. What is your district ?

@!!..PD..!! It appears you will have to hold the hands of Senior BSNL officials who are in charge of BSNL Fiber. These Employees are earning Lakhs of Rupees per month, but their knowledge is non-existent.
If Amravati has a Dedicated BSNL Exchange, try talking to the Senior official there. Local BSNL Exchange officials might not know about IPv6.
Just asking: Why do you need IPv6?

Simple question..why are you guys so bothered about getting a working IPv6 address? It's BSNL guys...don't expect too much!

While IPv6 has it's advantages over IPv4, it is not the "latest greatest" thing that some are making it out to be. There are disadvantages in terms of costs to service providers especially those that operate legacy systems and do not upgrade due to a shortage of cash or lack of skilled people to make the switch over. We see most ISPs operating a dual stack ie v4 and v6 where the primary connectivity is more often than not provided via v6 when available with a fall back to v4 for v4 only sites.

However remember as end users it usually does NOT make a difference to our experience in browsing/chatting/downloading. All it does is remove the limitations of a CG NAT address whilst playing online games hosting a file server etc. If you really want a publicly routable IP get a static IP from BSNL. They do provide them at least in the metros/tier 1 cities.

I get v6 IPs on all 3 of my ISPs but only BSNL is messed up..not surprised. I am thinking of surrendering the connection.

Disabling v6 can reduce latency caused by the switch over from v6 to v4 and even reduce security risks.

Thanks, @Chip for the explanation. It appears the Carrier-Grade Network Allocation Table (CG NAT) is primarily useful for getting a dedicated IP Address Allocation on a Per-User basis, instead of being allocated a Communal IP Address.
This is not only NOT desired, but it could be a security risk. However, those who do want a Dedicated IP address, are better off getting a Static IP address, which could be helpful for Remote Access to the user's Home Network (Once again, this too is a security risk).
If there are no technical or reliability benefits, BSNL is better off with the simple-to-manage IPv4.
BSNL is not able to manage what little infrastructure and customers it has. Hence, it is too much to expect backend technical upgradation.

@alap4m

Tried to talk to the people in Amravati BSNL. They don't have any ideas and they're not willing to provide any contact info from their BNG team.

By the way he talked to me I felt that he didn't even ask the BNG team why it is not working.

Back