Is IPv6 working in Maharashtra?

• Thread starter Thread starter !!..PD..!!
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 33
  • Views Views 2,234
I want it to be able to access v6 sites. In future if I need to connect to v6 sites suppose for work then I'll be stuck then because the BSNL people will take their sweet time the same way they're taking right now.

Even if the performance is bad I can keep it off and turn it ON when required right?

So, I'd say its better to make it work in advance than running around later when it is necessary and required.

If you guys want functional v6 then go in for another service provider either Airtel or Tata Play Fibre. I am not sure if they have a presence where you live but you can find out.

Again let me stress that a v6 address will do NOTHING for you as an end user unless you are into something more advanced like hiosting a file /web server or want a remote connection to your home network. This will open more security risks unless you invest in a good firewall appliance.

Net, net - chill and use v4 even if CGNAT. A static IP is also a risk and BSNL's network may not be the most well defended like Airtel/Jio/Tata. My BSNL router is configured for wifi with WPA protocol (duh) not WPA2 which is the minimum acceptable encryption standard forget WPA3. I use BSNL as a standby at max or for guests. Keeps em off my home network :sneaky:

I'm assuming that you are using the basic combo (onu+router) for PPPOE and have not used a good router behind it or maybe using a double nat with the router behind it. Also, I did invest in my setup.

A new onu for bridge, a good router for pppoe and mesh devices so that I can use it. I don't face any issues with BSNL tbh and I haven't faced downtime/speed issues in months. Maybe your area ain't good with BSNL.

There is no other ISP in my area that can give me a connection and I don't like ISPs which force their Modem/router combos on their users and don't let them make any changes.

I appreciate your wisdom but as I said, it's better to make BSNL work and get it fixed ASAP rather than waiting for them to take the same time later when it is a necessity or a requirement.

@!!..PD..!! "Access v6 sites"...
Which sites are accessible via IPv6 only?
Honestly, it will be a LONG time before IPv4 STOPS being a backbone or primary Protocol.
Even though IPv6 is quite old, ISPs and Websites still haven't fully adopted or embraced the Protocol, which makes IPv4 STILL the reliable and workable/dependable choice.
Having said that, I would really like to know because Other BSNL users, especially in Maharashtra, would have to lay the groundwork. Users will also have to explain to these BSNL babus like they are Six-Year-Old children WHY you need IPv6 enabled and working.

@alap4m
Why do you need to explain it to them ?
Can't you provide them the DOT guidelines for IPv6.

Also, you can say that "when i require it in the future you will take your sweet time to make it work and ask me this same thing "why you need ipv6?" so I'm making sure that it is ready and working by the time I need it.

Further, I don't understand why you feel like answering such a useless question. You're paying for the service and it is a part of your service.

If you want to know what I said:

I told them my friends from other states using BSNL get IPv6 and I want it too. Your BNG is capable of IPv6 and I also get an address which doesn't route. All that you need to do is find the problem why internet doesn't work through IPv6 like IPv4 and fix it.

That's me. I say what I want and I do think that I have a right to ask for things when I pay them every single month.

@!!..PD..!! Thanks for the reply.
No one is taking away your right to have IPv6.
The thing is, if you start lecturing BSNL Babus about your rights and their duties, they will merely ask if your internet is working. If the answer is Yes, they will ignore your technical queries.
BSNL is a State-run Public Sector Unit. BSNL Employees are Government Employees. They will not respond as a Private Company employee.
As long as your internet is working, they won't care about other technical aspects. In fact, they might not even be aware of complexities such as Latency, Routing, IPv6 etc.

The more you complain the more they get frustrated. There will come a time when they'll prefer making it work as the user is complaining too much and it is bad for company as TRAI does measure their performances.

It'll be a lot easier if more people complain for it but I don't think they'll so I'll do my part and hope for the best. That's the way it works for me. That's how they fixed routing and latency issue for me. Excessive complaints lead to resolution for BSNL atleast at my place.

@!!..PD..!! Amazing Resilience. Keep up the good work.
Do update this thread about your efforts with BSNL Employees and success.
Also, please elaborate on the Latency and Routing issues you were facing, and how you got them solved.
Many BSNL Fiber users would surely want to know.

@alap4m

I got some traceroute and provided them with the ips where latency increased.

Then kept visiting BSNL exchange (close to my home) every single day till they fixed it.

I shared the points for different ips from the same location to prove my point and it was fixed within 7 days.

Back