Is IPv6 working in Maharashtra?

• Thread starter Thread starter !!..PD..!!
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 33
  • Views Views 2,234
As I said before I get IPv6 from the BSNL router on my devices but they are not routable. This is in Pune, not sure about Mumbai. Frankly It has been done as a tick in the box to satisfy the Govt order on v6 deployment. They are already months late target date was 31/12/22. But the roll out happened finally in the last quarter of calendar '23 albeit non functional.

I mean dude they (and other providers) are only obliged to give you internet connectivity either via v4 OR v6. As long as they've done it and your connection is working they have met their contractual obligation.

@Chip This has been my understanding about the way BSNL works for a LONG Time.
Their primary and oftentimes ONLY question is: "Is the internet working?"
If the answer is Yes, CASE CLOSED.
Many-a-times Case is Closed even without any visit from BSNL employees or the LCO.

That's how every isp works even the big ones unless you escalate and manage to reach a tech. Junior tech and support only know to follow few SOP and probably has less knowledge than you.

99 percent of their customers just want internet working and their full plan speed.

Ok so I tested my BSNL line again..and wow I was surprised to see a routable IPv6. So finally BSNL did it. 2001.4490:4481:xxxx..xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.xxxx is detected on the internet and yeah it passed Google's IPv6 test too but not the other ones. The ISP is NIB.

But there's a caveat - it works only intermittently. 😠 Way to go BSNL the cretins.

TBH messing around with the BSNL router is not an area of interest to me. Just accepting it the way it is. It's more of a internet provider for guests just in case they want WIFI access. I really don't have the time or inclination to chase BSNL and get it resolved.

Ok so curiousity got the better of me and I logged into the router. The IPv6 address PD is a /64 just like other ISPs, nothing new. It is routable though it does not pass all v6 tests it works more often than not. Well, BSNL, better late than never. :)

Routable means it is detected on the internet via Google after being routed through the BSNL or NIB gateway(s), passes most v6 tests and owner of the IP is detected as NIB.

I use a Syrotech router but make is irrelevant, IPv6 will work only if the backend (NOC and OLT) AND router are correctly configured. The router config is automatically pushed to the router/ONT. You don't need to do anything per se. As for the backend or OLT you can't do anything about configurations as it is all in BSNL's hands.

Do you mean that the address you get is valid but internet doesn't work with it and test for IPv6 fails as no IPv6 address detected ?

If i misunderstood then It'll be easy to understand if you share a screenshot.

Back