Is it worth using bridge mode for Airtel Fiber.

Lolita_Magnum

ᓚᘏᗢ
ISP
AS17665
AS11158
I recently upgraded to the 300Mbps connection, while it seems to be working fine via an Ethernet Cable, I see speed dips and variation in terms of speeds and latency via WiFi. And also, it seems I can't set a static channel for the wifi.

It also seems that the router might not powerful enough when more devices are communicating in the subnet.

Any suggestions or is it just my head looking down on the router, I don't know.

Use ur own router... for better performance.

I already have a TP-Link Archer A7 lying around, guessing that be fine then. @awemonk

@tatyasky budget should not really be considered, since all I'm looking for is something to be good enough or atleast better than the existing standard unit.

What router r u currently using and what are the issue faced? Is it only the wifi speed? Analyze your requirements, do you want ddns, guest network, VPN server and so on and then make a purchase decision based on features/cost/quality.

As u wud know Wifi speed is a function of router software/channel width/ some router settings + external environment including interference

So it might change or might not. A matter of chance. Try fiddling with settings whatever possible also channel width, router placement etc and see if that makes any difference. I hear that Asus routers are better than TP-Link but they are quite costlier. Tplink is more budget friendly. I have good experience with D-Link and tplink

Airtel has provided f670l which in general meets my requirements. I occasionally put my dlink in bridge but mostly use f670l. eventually I am planning to go for ax from tplink mostly in a few months time.

The initial router provided by airtel with my fiber was crap. gx brand. It did not even have basic features present. I fought with airtel for replacement for 2 weeks and then they gave me f670l. I asked for dumb ont actually but they refused. bridge mode is way to go bcos in this fiber business all fiber routers are designed for isps, not for end consumers. it's b2b not b2c model that they have adopted. i miss ethernet RJ45 days now!!u cud just buy any router of ur choice. at the max u needed to clone mac nothing else

@lucifer In F670L the software does not offer bridge mode. It was available in earlier versions but after software upgrade to v12 it has been removed. However you contact airtel and ask their NOC team to bind one of the LAN ports to Bridge internally from the backend. They do it entirely from their end and you do not find any noticeable changes in the software settings but it's done.
That's what I have done. In my F670L the LAN#4 is bridged. So anytime I can connect another router's WAN port to LAN4 of this router and the new router can then face directly airtel connection. It's a proper router mode not AP.

Back