Is static IP required for enabling bridge mode on Airtel Xstream?

• Thread starter Thread starter hashhar
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 24
  • Views Views 5,655
ISP
Airtel
I placed a call to customer care for enabling some ports as bridged mode on my Airtel Xstream fiber conection which uses the Nokia G-2425G-A router.

The customer care sent a technician to my home who told me that since I don't have a static IP I can't configure the router to bridge mode.

I want to know whether it is actually required or is the Airtel guy trying to upsell me to Rs 199/mo + GST for the static IP? As per my understanding of how networking works I don't think there's any requirement for a static IP to be able to configure a router under bridge mode.

Can the people here please confirm if bridge mode requires static ip or not?

I'm trying to use a UDM Pro as the gateway so want to turn the Nokia into a dumb ONT.

Solution
@hashhar You don't need to take a static IP for bridge mode. I was on dynamic and had a bridged mode Nokia set up for me. I opted for static IP much later. If they are adamant agree to static IP have them bridge the router and then cancel static IP a month or two down the line.

I must tell you that Airtel has pretty much changed its attitude to a "take it or leave it" mode. Home BB is not their priority it seems. And I speak from personal experience. Others on Airtel BB have also experienced the same nonchalant attitude from their staff.
What security? You are more exposed with a static IP if someone say a hacker learns of that address unless of course you employ a good firewall with sufficient security rules to block unwanted incoming or outgoing traffic. :) Don't get one till you're absolutely sure you need it.

Yes, my Airtel ONT also gets a public IP over its PPPoE connection (unless they disabled it recently, haven't checked) while my personal router gets another one. Tata Sky disables PPPoE on the ONT.

Upvote 0
That's what I also meant actually. Static IP is prone to more attacks. Though I placed a request for static IP yesterday, due to these security concerns, i am thinking whether I should really go for it. I will cancel my request.

I wish my router gets a proper dynamic public IP but that's not the case as Airtel assigned 100.*

Upvote 0
I am thinking whether I should go for static IP at all for security reasons.
A Static IP is prone to more attack. See my pfSense pfBlockerNg Log. Though, many of the IP addresses are just scanning the public internet for doing Reconnaissance.

KZr8g7y.png

Upvote 0

Back