LeaseLine Information Needed!

• Thread starter Thread starter AvinashR
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 27
  • Views Views 3,888
To be frank, based on nothing other than the prices provided, my gut feeling is that they are quoting for a 1 megabit line only, which does not suit your requirements as far as I can see.If it were an 8 megabit (1 megabyte) line, then this would be awfully cheap - in fact it would make the price of rs834/megabit/month cheaper than a residential broadband connection from MTNL, which as you can imagine, doesn't make much sense. Please ensure that you double check by asking them "is this connection 1 megabit or 1 megabyte per second?" Hopefully they can clarify!As far as the last mile is concerned, the connection wouldn't be routed via MTNL servers, it would just hook in to MTNL's copper network shortly before reaching your office in one of those blue cabinets scattered about the city.Also, you've not mentioned to whom you have applied for this connection from at rs80k/year - is that Reliance or Airtel or MTNL?I have passed your # along to my CTO, he will likely call upon his return on Wednesday, and at the same time he can pass you the number of someone at Tulip.

Thanks for your clarification.

I'll definitely cross check this with their team.

By the way, the proposal of Rs. 80,000 P.A. was given by Airtel.

Finally, I received the correct information from Airtel and TATA communication. They offered me/us 1 Mbps lease line and not 1 MBps and their costing is way too high. Although Reliance Comm. offering us at a very less price tag, but I am not sure how good their services are. Anyone using Reliance broadband or lease line? Please share your experiences.

Finally, I received the correct information from Airtel and TATA communication. They offered me/us 1 Mbps lease line and not 1 MBps and their costing is way too high. Although Reliance Comm. offering us at a very less price tag, but I am not sure how good their services are.

Anyone using Reliance broadband or lease line? Please share your experiences.

All things considered, if price is the issue, it may be your only option, considering that 1mbit/s is not sufficient for your requirements. As AudioSlave pointed out in post #12, the maximum you can hope to download on a 1mbit/s line (dedicated or not) is a bit over 320GB a month.

You say you need 1.5TB, ergo, no less than 5mbit/s will do, and to be perfectly frank, even that wouldn't be advisable since it's rarely a good idea to try running a line (even a dedicated/leased line) at 100% capacity. If I were you I'd be asking for 8mbit/s at the minimum, 10+ is better.

I'll PM you that # from Tulip and maybe alternatives from other providers like Spectranet when I get in to my office tomorrow afternoon.

All things considered, if price is the issue, it may be your only option, considering that 1mbit/s is not sufficient for your requirements. As AudioSlave pointed out in post #12, the maximum you can hope to download on a 1mbit/s line (dedicated or not) is a bit over 320GB a month.

You say you need 1.5TB, ergo, no less than 5mbit/s will do, and to be perfectly frank, even that wouldn't be advisable since it's rarely a good idea to try running a line (even a dedicated/leased line) at 100% capacity. If I were you I'd be asking for 8mbit/s at the minimum, 10+ is better.

I'll PM you that # from Tulip and maybe alternatives from other providers like Spectranet when I get in to my office tomorrow afternoon.

Hi Mathew,

Thank you for your reply. We already have 2 Mbps line from Bharti Airtel running at 100% capacity. We are also planning to get 4 Mbps DSL line from MTNL Delhi.

We are planning to opt 2 Mbps lease line from TATA communication, although I am not sure how good their services are. BTW is Spectranet any good in Delhi. I received their call couple of days ago, but I never heard about them before :p

Our main reason behind opting lease line is that we need good uploading speed, so that we can upload at least 18-20 GB data within 24 hours. So let me know if lease line is a good option for that.

Thank you!

Hi Mathew,

Thank you for your reply. We already have 2 Mbps line from Bharti Airtel running at 100% capacity. We are also planning to get 4 Mbps DSL line from MTNL Delhi.

Why go to all the trouble of getting 3 separate lines like that, especially since you can't combine them easily to get what would amount to a total of 8mbit/s... and at the end of the day, there are two other things to think about:

1. An 8mbit/s lease line probably wouldn't cost too much more (if at all) than the 3 separate lines (however, you haven't mentioned the quoted price for such a line so I don't know what they're planning to charge you)
2. A leased line comes with a service level agreement (so, apart from speed, you're also paying for guaranteed uptime).

We are planning to opt 2 Mbps lease line from TATA communication, although I am not sure how good their services are. BTW is Spectranet any good in Delhi. I received their call couple of days ago, but I never heard about them before :p

Tata's leased line services are pretty much as good as you'll get in India, and according to one of your previous posts is delivered over MTNL infrastructure which means it should be sufficient (YMMV, I've heard both good and bad things about MTNL Delhi), but since you're getting a leased line, if it goes down more than a certain amount each month, Tata would be liable.

As of now, I have no issues with Spectranet - it's owned by Shyam Telecom which is the same company behind MTS in India. I have a server in their data centre in Gurgaon thanks to my hosting partner, and connectivity seems pretty stable on the whole.

They claim to have their own last-mile infrastructure everywhere they provide, but I'm not sure to what extent that is - if I get a chance I'll ask them next time I get them on the phone.

Our main reason behind opting lease line is that we need good uploading speed, so that we can upload at least 18-20 GB data within 24 hours. So let me know if lease line is a good option for that.

Thank you!

It should be sufficient for that much - 2mbit/s upstream will allow you a theoretical maximum of about 21GB per 24-hour period, but you're not really giving yourself much leeway.

If it were me, I'd definitely be ditching the two consumer-oriented services and investing that money in to increased capacity on the leased line... the 6k or so per month works out to 72k per year, so based on your aforementioned prices of Rs80k per megabit per year, if you're already looking at 1.6 lakhs per year for 2mbit/s, you could probably negotiate for 4mbit/s for 2.4 lakhs per year - or more if you try really hard (at that price they're still making a pretty paise even if they offered you 8mbit/s).

Additionally, when pricing it out, do take in to account things like support costs when dealing with consumer-level services: with the SLA, they are contractually bound to limit your downtime, but also the customer service for your leased line will be a lot more helpful than the customer service for a standard broadband connection... depending on your situation, it may end up saving you money as far as working-hours for your technicians are concerned (I'm assuming that you are having to create a business case to submit this to your boss/accounts dept/etc and that they will care about these sorts of improvements on the bottom line).

Hi Mathew,Thank you for your suggestions and detailed reply.Well the only problem is budget. We do not have a very big budget for lease line. We can go up to 1.6 Lac P.A. The reason behind opting three different line is that in-case any went down then we'll be having two back-up lines. We are not a very big company. It's a very small company with having limited infra and financial sources. At present, we have Airtel enterprise connection and now we are looking for 2 Mbps lease line from TATA and 4 Mbps DSL connection from MTNL Delhi. So that we can achieve 1.5 TB data-transfer per month. Our uploading will be around 500-600 GB PM, so I believe having 3 different lines will allow us to download data with ease.By the way, today I had words with TATA guy's and they offered me 4 Mbps line @ Rs. 3 Lacs whereas Reliance is way to cheaper, but I don't know how good they are.Based on your suggestions, we are planning to go with TATA lease-line. But the only issue is that they are going to provide us their lease line connection on MTNL's last mile network i.e. on their copper wire which is underground. So could you please let me know, are they going to provide us their lease-line connection via MTNL server or it is just their line which they are using?One more thing, I would like to know, how good is Reliance? Is it good to take their leaseline connection? Thank you in advance!Cheers,Avinash

I wish you Guys had something like beam Fiber in your city. Their Business plans are Damn Good for business who are on low budget 1.5Lacs P.A for an 15-30mbps line.

Back