Massive data consumption on Airtel Broadband recorded for many users this weekend

• Thread starter Thread starter Karan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 56
  • Views Views 15,184
24 hours later, not a peep from Airtel. Messaged them again for an update and also threatened to disconnect my service.

@vebk: You can check detailed usage on "my Airtel" on Airtel website. It won't show details on the app.

The first response I got was that the timing corresponding to that bandwidth may not be accurate. When I shared a link to this post, they managed to register a complaint but ended up sending an engineer. And as it happens, he had no clue about the problem. He came thinking that probably net was down. Now I am being asked to file a complaint with the billing department.

Let's see.

as multiple users from different places are affected, I am sure this is technical issue which they will not accept easily.

if possible we should quote each others complaint number.

Hell with you Airtel, You don't allow special character in log and track request page.

I typed a long request and you delete it saying "Special character not allowed" in description.

LOL

Got a response from 121 over email, the initial email was the usual canned response on how to check my data usage in detail. Wrote back and told them to read what I wrote. They responded again with another canned response that all data and billing details are correct and how I should change my passwords and keep my PC free of viruses, blah, blah. Finally got onto twitter and messaged airtel presence, they took down my number and said will get it touch with me. On top of that I have been FUPed due to their fault, down from 40Mbps to 512Kbps, dunno how long I can keep my cool.

Trully dissapointing and shameful for all the "transparent network" claims, they are transparent as opaque glass over a technical glitch!

@ghpk: the app's complaint system is what I used intially, the above is the response I got.

Last edited:
Ok - I was able to log in now, but I can't pull up the data related to the weekend, but only the last day or so. If I go to "Historical Data" and search for the days, I get an error "No data returned for the criteria."

WTF.

Meanwhile I have 7 GB left for a week, which is definitely a problem.

Now I am sure, they know the issue, and are deliberately becoming unaware, and by the time you draw more attention
your billing cycle would change.

So how many users in IBF itself are affected. Maybe @Ouch can put up a link on homepage & users can raise individual complaints & complaint numbers consolidated at that page & sent to Airtel .. Maybe even Nodal or Appellate to highlight the glitch?

Hmmm, I'm on their 4G data plan (not mobile but home wifi CPE device for data-only) and I also got an unexpectedly early "100% used" email and SMS yesterday around 2 PM when I know I had at least around 2 GB remaining out of my quota.

My speed got cut off for a short while but then recovered after some time.

Logging in to my account portal shows nearly 4 GB remaining there, so yeah, something clearly is screwed up with their metering system.

Back