Massive data consumption on Airtel Broadband recorded for many users this weekend

• Thread starter Thread starter Karan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 56
  • Views Views 15,184
Haha, if that happens will have to repeat this whole saga again. Apart from the restored data, Airtel seems to have re-provisioned my download speed as well, up from 41Mbps to 48Mbps, no change in the upload though, still at 20Mbps.

Airtel restored my data as well. And looks like they are not just restoring the GBs lost but topping up the full limit. Nice.

They are probably restoring full limit because their software probably does not know what was "real" usage done in that period.

So either they write code to reverse data used during "error" period ONLY or reset counter to ZERO.

Resetting to ZERO was probably easiest solution available to them.

Today if I login to my account website there's the message "Our systems are being upgraded due to which some of the information will not be available. Inconvenience is regretted.". I can login but can't get details of data consumed/remaining.

airtel presence guy I spoke to a few days back called, they have confirmed that is was a "data spike" in their system that caused the usage to go haywire. He also confirmed they have restored the full data limit for all affected customers. So far the data counter seems to not be counting any data either, still showing 150GB left for me.

Same here. I got my full 200GB back a day or two ago, and the speed is back to my subscribed 8Mbps. Just got a call from someone from the cyber-backend division (or something like that), and they were apologetic about it, and explained that they have wiped all the data for this billing cycle.

As much as we complain on this forum, I think we should also give credit where it's due - Airtel has taken fairly swift corrective action, and giving the full data back for the billing cycle is a considerate thing to do. I am pretty happy with the outcome.

@vebk, you are right, this is exactly the reason why people like us persist with Airtel even though their plans are pricey. But they also wouldn't want to let issues like this blow up big, because it will create suspicion and calls for transparency into their methods, which will hurt them a lot more.

i dumped airtel few years ago because they refused to give me back around 3-4GB of data that they did not calculate correctly. sadly, i am now back on airtel as my backup connection largely because of ad injection on bsnl and the new rapid plans are not bad considering airtel.

Not to forget, broadbandforum.co played a major role in making Airtel come and read the post from various users from different locations are affected :-)

Thanks Sushubh for keeping the forum up and up always.

Back