• Thread starter Thread starter Argos
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 66
  • Views Views 31,401

Argos

ISP
MTNL
iPhone 4: iOS4.2.1 + MTNL (Mumbai) 3G Prepaid SIM

Asking MTNL for help in setup is a waste of time. This is what has worked for me:

Settings >General > Network> Cellular Data Network >

APN: gprsppsmum
Username: mtnlmum
Password: mtnl123

Exit 'Network' > enable 3G > exit Settings. Wait until '3G' shows up, then start browsing.

I still haven't managed to get MMS working. Any help would be appreciated.

Performance:

Surprisingly, 3G speeds on my iPhone 4 are slower than MTNL's Data Card speeds! On the iPhone, I'm averaging 380 - 424 kbps vs. 2.1Mbps with the Data Card connected to my Macbook. Same location, same time, simultaneous speed check.

Considering that the iPhone 4 has both HSDPA and HSUPA, making it a 3.5G device capable of theoretically achieve 7.2Mbps d/l and 5.8Mbps u/l, I am surprised that it is doing less than 1Mbps with MTNL Mumbai's 3G.

Update:

After escalating things up to the MTNL head honchos, I made some discoveries.

Apparently, the DataCard comes with HSDPA activated, while the SIMs do not; one has to pay more (some 50 bucks) to get HSDPA activated on it. Why MTNL does not mention this on their website, I don't know.

Anyway, after a little back-and-forth, HSDPA was activated by MTNL on my iPhone SIM, and surprisingly, the speed shot up from 0.39Mbps to 1.16Mbps. So, there's something in that. Will continue to pursue them to see if speed increases further, as it should.

Here is a verbatim quote from the MTNL GM in charge:

"Warm Regards from MTNL.
Kindly confirm whether you have activated HSDPA in your I-phone number. If it is having only 3G facility, then download speed is app 4Mbps(384Kbps).
Data Cards are already activated with HSDPA facility."

The fight continues.

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/441/photono.png

Update 2:

Bad news I'm afraid. MTNL Mumbai is fooling the public.

According to SPA-GM MTNL, 3G speeds on MTNL will not exceed 400kbps... a far cry from the promised 3.6Mbps.

"If you want higher speeds, you will have to pay Rs.449 for HSDPA activation." And what will be the expected speed then? "About 1.4Mpbs on an HSDPA device".

So, pay 300% more to get speeds that you should have got in the first place!

Wonder if BSNL or MTNL Delhi is pulling this con also... anyone?

My speeds are again down to < 400kbps after Friday's testing (with HSDPA activated by MTNL).

Have you tried the tethering feature yet?

does anyone have any idea if 3G is working on MTNL in Navi Mumbai? I travel there daily and most of my usage is there. Any pointers?

Why not just try?? it doesnt cost much..no monthly rent... 1Rs/MB.. just download something using 3G handset and check speed.

You can call up MTNL's CC and ask them (of course if a competent knowledgeable person picks of your call). But Amish's advice is the best one to check it yourself if you have the handset with you.My mobile catches 3G signal when I pass by Vashi Station in local. Dunno about other places.

Long time guys!!! I will return to Amchi Mumbai next month.Had enough of London :DWas wondering what is the 3G data services scene there? Who has the best coverage in Mumbai/Navi Mumbai?

Till now only MTNL has rolled out their 3G services in Mumbai/Navi Mumbai. Quality of service varies greatly with location.

iPhone 4: iOS4.2.1 + MTNL (Mumbai) 3G Prepaid SIM

Asking MTNL for help in setup is a waste of time. This is what has worked for me:

Settings >General > Network> Cellular Data Network >

APN: gprsppsmum
Username: mtnlmum
Password: mtnl123

Exit 'Network' > enable 3G > exit Settings. Wait until '3G' shows up, then start browsing.

I still haven't managed to get MMS working. Any help would be appreciated.

Performance:

Surprisingly, 3G speeds on my iPhone 4 are slower than MTNL's Data Card speeds! On the iPhone, I'm averaging 380 - 424 kbps vs. 2.1Mbps with the Data Card connected to my Macbook. Same location, same time, simultaneous speed check.

Considering that the iPhone 4 has both HSDPA and HSUPA, making it a 3.5G device capable of theoretically achieve 7.2Mbps d/l and 5.8Mbps u/l, I am surprised that it is doing less than 1Mbps with MTNL Mumbai's 3G.

---------- Post added at 10:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:06 PM ----------

Hi ,
I have tried given settings for my iphone 4 for MTNL prepaid card but i can browse the web at very slow speed. Even I am having Edge instead of 3g at the display, even 3g is enabled. May b beacuse of no 3g service at my location But still edge was too slow when compare to airtel mobile office and Vodafone gprs on same phone. May be when i get 3g network on phone the speed may b fast. Have you guys any time experience edge speed on MTNl on iphone?? how to activate facetime on mtnl as after going to settings -phone -facetime the message comes "waiting for activation " thats it & it doesnt activate...is it due to non avability of 3g network in my particular location??

I also try to use reliance postpaid 3g network in mumbai on iphone 4 , it shows 3g icon on display but was unable to connect the net after using so many configurations of APN like rcomnet, rcomwap etc and searching the google too...but it does not work...and atlast i have opt for the prepaid MTNL where m able to browse but too slow...

---------- Post added at 10:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 PM ----------

MTNL prepaid

Back