MTNL 3G on iPhone 4 - Settings & Performance

• Thread starter Thread starter Argos
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 66
  • Views Views 31,401
I did a recharge of Rs. 749 for 2GB. Now all of a sudden, 3G has stopped working :madness:
I did not change my apn settings. What could be wrong?
My settings
APN: gprsppsmum
Username: mtnlmum
Password: mtnl123

Nothing wrong on your side. MTNL server-side problem most probably. Call them up and give them hell. MTNL only seems to work on voice power.
Sometimes they 'accidentally' block you on the server, or 'forget' to update your payment, causing restriction of service. You should take it up with MTNL.

Internet is working since morning. But when I did speed test, speeds don't go over 400 kbps like its capped. Does HSDPA need to be activated as well? How we go about doing that? and... How are we supposed to check the data balance on prepaid sim ?I did try calling but the aunty had no clue what I was talking about.

Internet is working since morning. But when I did speed test, speeds don't go over 400 kbps like its capped. Does HSDPA need to be activated as well? How we go about doing that? and... How are we supposed to check the data balance on prepaid sim ?

I did try calling but the aunty had no clue what I was talking about.

400 kilobits = max MTNL 3G speed without HSDPA, so you're good.

To activate HSDPA: ensure that you have balance of Rs.475 on your SIM. Then SMS 'ACT HSDPA' to 444. Rs.449 will be deducted for this one-time HSDPA activation, and you'll get 449MB free for a month + lifetime HSDPA validity. With HSDPA, you can expect speeds of upto 1.4 megabits. "If customer fails to maintain minimum balance requirement of Rs.25, HSDPA facility will be barred."

To check data balance on SIM: SMS 'DATAENQ' to 444.

^Sending 'DATAENQ' to 444 doesn't work. You need to check your mobile's data counter to know your total usage.

^Sending 'DATAENQ' to 444 doesn't work. You need to check your mobile's data counter to know your total usage.

It does work, but reply is late. It also bloody costs Rs. 2 per sms :(

Okay so its working now. I got the reply after 12 hours!Oops, didn't know it was charged. Thanks for informing.

400 kilobits = max MTNL 3G speed without HSDPA, so you're good.

To activate HSDPA: ensure that you have balance of Rs.475 on your SIM. Then SMS 'ACT HSDPA' to 444. Rs.449 will be deducted for this one-time HSDPA activation, and you'll get 449MB free for a month + lifetime HSDPA validity. With HSDPA, you can expect speeds of upto 1.4 megabits. "If customer fails to maintain minimum balance requirement of Rs.25, HSDPA facility will be barred."

To check data balance on SIM: SMS 'DATAENQ' to 444.

I think HSDPA is activated on all SIMs now a days. On my SIM I never activated the HSDPA and was getting about 2 mbps download speed even when I had less than Rs 100 balance in my card. Now I am using Rs 4500 for 6 months UL and my download speed is still the same. I bought the SIM in October 2009 and never recharged it with anything to activate HSDPA. It was a MTNL 3G SIM as was mentioned on the package of the SIM that I still have.

My speed is capped. While doing speedtest, speed bursts from 800 kbps but quickly stabilizes on 400kbps. Need to try it out on a data card.

I think HSDPA is activated on all SIMs now a days. On my SIM I never activated the HSDPA and was getting about 2 mbps download speed even when I had less than Rs 100 balance in my card. Now I am using Rs 4500 for 6 months UL and my download speed is still the same. I bought the SIM in October 2009 and never recharged it with anything to activate HSDPA. It was a MTNL 3G SIM as was mentioned on the package of the SIM that I still have.

I'm having a continuing fight with MTNL Mumbai on this, so my facts are accurate. Perhaps you're with MTNL Delhi? Can you double-check with them and post back? I could fight better if there's an anomaly between Delhi and Mumbai on HSDPA.

Back