MTNL Broadband is injecting ads on your computer pretending it's a feature

ebill are already on here but still they are popping it up :

because i doubt they have a mechanism in place to check in the database if the user is on ebill or not.

it's like the texts you get... ignore this message if you have already paid the bill.

Just curious...is the Adphonso pop-up still showing up? I blocked it via the router. And, sent the following email to the CMD:
It is sad to see that MTNL has decided to join the league of shady ISPs the world over and has started using javascript injection to serve popup messages and ads!
While MTNL has started out with a harmless popup ad asking me to submit my email id to receive bills through email some MTNL broadband customers are already complaining about popups asking them to upgrade their plans!
MTNL is using Adphonso to serve these ads and here is what Adphonso describes its services as:
The stunning new technique of advertising on the connected devices, delivers Rich Media Advertisements to potential customer through networks. The solution reads the Machine Details, Browser and OS information and Customer Behaviour along with location and delivers relevant impression. The network architecture is simple and is directly connected to the ISP and hence avoids the need to go to a publisher and buy expensive ad slots.

Needless to say, this has strong implication on my privacy since MTNL is not only serving these ads to its customers, but also tracking the websites they visit as well as system details about their computer/tablet/mobile and sharing it with Adphonso and other advertisers.
And, this is when we pay relatively high charges for poor speed and bad service!
If MTNL has to spy on me then you need to produce the requisite clearance from the appropriate authorities.
In the absence of such approval, MTNL's tie up with Adphonso is not only unethical and a violation of my human rights but bad in law as well.
Please confirm to me that MTNL is cancelling its tie-up with Adphonso and withdrawing the invasion of my privacy with immediate effect or produce legal approval to do so.
Followed up with this:
With a third party application courtesy the Adphonso network in between MTNL and me, browsing has become even more slower since my browsing information is being relayed to Adphonso first, and then my internet services are being requested.
This is a gross violation of customer interest and amounts to cheating where MTNL is modifying the response code of websites and delivering Adphonso's ads first into the site MTNL customers visit.
It is highly inappropriate to have a third party ad network to log every move of mine on the Internet and for MTNL to pass on all this information for the sake of serving ads to me and other customers.
Please treat this as a formal 'cease and desist' notice from my side and confirm that MTNL has stopped selling my information to Adphonso with immediate effect.
Emails copied to the TRAI, Secretary DoT, NHRC...

@eskay You have done a great job in writing an effective strong letter and sending it to proper authorities. :thumbup:
You should also send a copy of your email to TV channels, newspapers, and cyber law experts in India.

why does my modem default pass/username keep changing ( not mtnl modem, beetel) ? can the ISP do that ? last week i did a reset, today again i had to do a reset :

Disable remote administration in your modem and then change your the default admin password to something difficult to guess.

Jagat said:
@eskay You have done a great job in writing an effective strong letter and sending it to proper authorities. :thumbup:
You should also send a copy of your email to TV channels, newspapers, and cyber law experts in India.
Jagat, I hope forum members on MTNL BB will write to the CMD and Exec Dir of their area and mark a copy to GM broadband as well.

Back