MTNL Broadband: POrt forwarding

• Thread starter Thread starter powerontop
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 114
  • Views Views 35,615
port forwarding is required only for 2mbps lines... no need for port forwarding on 590NU!

I read somewhere, that you have to upload files also to improve download speeds in torrent sites. ( Not sure , as I don't use/not familiar with torrent site's procedures. )

Its to do with your ratio, thats the ratio of Download(leechers) to upload(seeders)
For eg:- if everyone just DL's at 2048kbps and UL's at 512kbps, that means their ratio will be 0.25
Now for torrents to work ,each should ideally have a ratio of 1.0 so you upload as much as you download.

Closer your ratio is to 1 or above 1
the tracker will route more packets to your IP and those who cheat by simply leeching off others will get slower speeds..

About the fairest system you can find anywhere, but on a ADSL where UL and DL speeds are not synchronised it can create a few problems:P

So yeah I got a new pc ad currently its not in Bridge mode,So when I was trying to manually forward ports, I get this error which says "You must enter an IP address on LAN clients page for the selected lan group to enter this setup" I cant forward ports now :(.I need it urgently coz i would soon be hosting a cs server xD.EDIT: Btw I am on D-Link GLB-502T

I'm guessing you have already disabled DHCP on your modem and have assigned a static IP to your PC.

All you need to do on your modem interface is click on Advanced, then Lan CLients.

Enter your PC's IP address and Host Name, and then click Add.

The error you see is probably when you click on Virtual Server.

I have a DSL-502T. Not sure if the modem interface is the same as the GLB, but you should be able to figure it out yourself.

I think what you ned to do is assign static ip add to new computer. and then put that static IP in DMZ settings in router...since your PCs are assigned dynamic IP from router this option is generating errors. tell me if i am wrong..:P

put that static IP in DMZ settings in router
If security is a concern, then DMZ is not a good idea.

since your PCs are assigned dynamic IP from router this option is generating errors. tell me if i am wrong
You're right! He needs a static IP on his PC for port-forwarding. And that needs to be entered in Lan Clients, before configuring Virtual Server.

So should I enter my real ip address or that 192.168.x.x one lol? And whats host name lol. I M A NOOB EDIT: It is also asking for Mac Address lol.Now whats that.And I get that error under advanced when I click portforwarding lol.:(:(

I'll try and cram it all in a few words for you. :)

In Bridged mode, your PC is directly assigned a public IP address by MTNL.

In PPPoE mode, your modem is assigned a public IP address by MTNL. And in turn, your modem either assigns your PC a private IP address by DHCP OR you manually assign a private IP to your PC.

If you chose to manually assign a private IP, you should disable DHCP on the modem coz you won't be using it.

Apart from getting an external (public) IP from MTNL, your modem also has an internal (private) IP: 192.168.1.1
Which is also the Default Gateway which you will need in a moment.

So, to answer your questions, you need to assign 192.168.1.x on your PC.
Anything from the range 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.254

You first configure the static IP on your PC and THEN on the modem.
If you've got XP... click Start>Control Panel (classic view)>Network Conections>Local Area Connections>right-click>Properties>select Internet Protocol>click Properties
Enter your chosen IP address & Default Gateway.

For DNS, you can use OpenDNS

For Host Name and MAC address
Start>Run>type cmd>and then type ipconfig /all

To get your Host Name and Physical Address (MAC address).

There ya go, short n sweet :P

Back