MTNL Broadband: POrt forwarding

• Thread starter Thread starter powerontop
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 114
  • Views Views 35,618
hi members r the ports blocked or firewalled

hi members prob over here i have outpost firewall installed when i use internet frm my local cablewallah limewire doesnt show i have a firewall but when i use mtnl triband limewire shows i am firewalled what to do about it do i have to open ports plz help

Originally posted by yogi1771@Sep 12 2005, 11:18 AM
hi members please help how to forward the ports for bittorrent clients and limewire
[snapback]24883[/snapback]
[/quote]

Hi Everybody,
Yesterday being holiday did some R&D with my setup. I had setup Port forwards for Gnutella, FastTrack etc but itseems it requires "Static" IP which obviously MTNL does not give and the Computer is setup to use DHCP but before once I had setup 192.168.1.2 in Lan clients page so that port forward config. could go ahead. But now if I see, my comp. gets 192.168.1.3 as its IP so forwarding wud happen on 192.168.1.2 but since no one has that IP packet would go god knows where. But that day I got good speeds after opening up some port on my comp. firewall(Firewall on router is disabled).
So yest. taking advise on this forum that MTNL by default does not block any ports and thus port forwarding is not neccesary, I decided to remove all kinds of port forwards. No virtual server, filter settings. But got ugly speeds of max 2-3 KB. Opened up some ports on firewall still no change. No new firewall rules added.
Now can anyone from mumbai pref. around borivali and adjacent area confirm bad speeds yest. I am attributing it to rains instead of removing of Port forwards.
If it is bad rains then I can setup IPTables properly else please suiggest how to config. comp. to use static IP but acquire rest from DHCP.

One more thing. has any linux user of triband noticed that if u start ur comp. without router being ON, there are no rules on ur machines IPTables. But if u boot ur machine with router ON, somehow there are automatically some Rules added to ur machines IPTables. Anyone knows why and how to disable/tune it?

Thanks.

Yeah, u can forward ports if u want to. And it is required contrary to what some people are posting here. For example in BitComet if u haven't forwarded the port it uses u'll have no remote connections in the peers tab which shows to whom and how u r connected. All of them will be local connections. But after port forwarding it will be able to make remote connections which means more and faster sources hence increased download speeds.

am getting above 30 kBps on my BitComet without any port forwarding...i'm happy with it :D

i dont connect to all peers and seeds even though the torrents show green colour and azureus passes NAT testPlease suggestI have already done port forwarding thing from that website of portforward

Back