MTNL To Announce New Unlimited Plans On Oct. 2nd

It says they are lowering taiff by 50 % from 399 to 199.....would be just like BSNL .....so they will give out 200 MB at rs 199.....i dont expect much from themMTNL does even offer 1 GB @ rs 500......so that cant reduce their pricing beyond re 1 per mB

i wonder.. if airtel is gonna use last mile connectivity from hathway or any other isp then there is a high chance that many parts of mumbai will not have airtel dsl connection.. cause in many parts there is only mtnl and no other private isp... hmm..ohh also reduction inpricing is keeping in mind thier set targets of a certain number of broadband connections...and hmm.. for many many many people even 500mb or for that matter even 250 mb is like way too much!! but i just hope that they comee out with an unlimited plan.. i think they can increase their user count with unlimited plans too very easily..

Even if they cant offer unlimited plans....i wud like something like 2 GB@ Rs 500 with NU and 1 Gb @ Rs 300 with NU......even this would give them crazy numbers.....and may Rs 1000 for unlimited

or maybe 500mb per day limit on the current NU plans....i don't mind that either and probably increase NU times 9 to 9.....now would that be like askin for more or sumink.:)

I hope they announce unlimited plans coz if they do so BSNL shall also do it in some time. I dont think they are going to follow the same trick of BSNL by reducing the limit because what they mentioned in the news is that they still havent decided to keep the limit same as 399 or less , so hope that most prob its going to be same as 399 that would mean a rue 50% flat drop

Originally posted by jayesh@Oct 27 2005, 01:57 PM
what does hathway being or not being in your area have to with anything? they are just using the fibre of these guys to get into areas faster... they could use anyones fibre for that be it even reliance their competitor
I dont think you understand the implications of this. Last mile connectivity by Hathway means, we have to use their sucky LAN (or WAN or whatever you call it) for connectivity. This obviously increases the costs for Airtel and hence us, the customer. Plus, we are at their mercy for uptime. Since, their server will be getting bandwidth from airtel but rest is with them. So if their server goes down for some reason then we have to wait until Hathway sorts it out. Airtel wont be responsible for that... Also, we might have to use the sucky 24OnlineClient to login as it is with most cable ISPs :angry:

Originally posted by max@Oct 27 2005, 10:28 PM
I dont think you understand the implications of this. Last mile connectivity by Hathway means, we have to use their sucky LAN (or WAN or whatever you call it) for connectivity. This obviously increases the costs for Airtel and hence us, the customer. Plus, we are at their mercy for uptime. Since, their server will be getting bandwidth from airtel but rest is with them. So if their server goes down for some reason then we have to wait until Hathway sorts it out. Airtel wont be responsible for that... Also, we might have to use the sucky 24OnlineClient to login as it is with most cable ISPs :angry:
[snapback]29729[/snapback]
[/quote]

no it does not mean that... airtel till date has not outsourced its work ever ( don’t i know i am merely a consultant with them ). its not going to be pppoe over cat 5 but over a normal tele line ... they are just using the fibre to transport raw signals all over the place NOT cat 5 !

you got it completely wrong airtel will be providing a normal pppoe connection using adsl 2 equipment a la mtnl and the way they do it in delhi. In parts of delhi they have even used reliance fibreoptic to achieve last mile connectivity.the fibre comes to your doorstep carrying the signal with zero loss . you wont be getting hathway u will be getting std 256 kb airtel speeds like anyone else does in delhi.

this is not a pppoe 24 hr online crap system. this is a normal provision for carrying signals across distances. Last mile connectivity is not cat 5 e which we have gotten used to in india ... but the use of fiber to get a company signal upto your step .. from their own noc. or control room or whatever its called in common parlance.

let me reiterate in case you are still confused. Airtel leases fibre from hathway -airtel uses this fibre to deliver the signal to your doorstep- airtel adsl2 equipment converts it accordingly for your use. period

Last mile
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

The last mile is the final leg of delivering communications connectivity to a resident or customer. Usually referred to by the telecommunications and cable industries, it is typically seen as an expensive challenge because "fanning out" wires and cables is a considerable physical undertaking. Outside of the USA, the phrase "last kilometer" is sometimes used.

To solve the problem of providing the last mile, some firms are beginning to mix networks. One example is FWA, where a mobile network is used instead of wires to connect from a stationary customer to the wireline network.

jayesh, if thats the case then I have no problem with airtel BUT if that isn't the case then.... we are all doomed (well atleast some of us). Anyway, what happens if hathway is unable to provide last mile connectivity??Edit: any more news about unlimited offers from MTNL? (I dont want to hear about the 50% reduction in tarrifs crap!)

Originally posted by max@Oct 28 2005, 11:31 AM
jayesh, if thats the case then I have no problem with airtel BUT if that isn't the case then.... we are all doomed (well atleast some of us). Anyway, what happens if hathway is unable to provide last mile connectivity??

Edit: any more news about unlimited offers from MTNL? (I dont want to hear about the 50% reduction in tarrifs crap!)
[snapback]29767[/snapback]
[/quote]
nothing happens they have a plethora of last mile providers to choose from hathway is just one. there are firms whose entire business is based on leasing out fibre to isps telecom providers etc. they are called lmcp last mile connection providers

Back