• Views Views 28,360
Yohu...have u tried this setup before?

Modem :
[*]PPPoE mode
[*]DHCP Disabled
[*]DMZ on and routers static IP fed in to it
[*]connected to WAN/Internet port of router
[/list]Router :
[*]Static IP mode (same IP that is put into Modems DMZ zone preferably 192.168.1.2) with Gateway 192.168.1.1 (i.e modems iP address)
[*]DHCP off
[*]Proper port forwarding done on Router
[*]PC and other LAN network Devices ip add starting from 192.168.1.3 with Gateway 192.168.1.1
[/list]^ this should turn NAT off on the Modem while allowing u to access the web config as well

Just for info:

2. internet post jan 9th
Automatic Scheduling for MTNL’s Triband’s Night Unlimited users

u know that bugger has most probably ripped the reboot method off this site and posted it as his own without any credit to the original author

@essbebe: i have seen that link of a question on how to use telnet on wrt54gc but the question was for using telnet OUTSIDE the network like if i want to access the routers settings from my office when the router is setup at home.anywayz, i followed the Q&A on that thread but it lead to nowhere.the guy still cudnt setup the telnet outside the network and the other guy was advising not to use telnet in the 1st place coz of security reasons and so he dropped the whole idea. @cyberwiz: nopes sorry, it didnt work.:(i did exactly as u said but in this particular config, i lost net connectivity AND access to the adsl modems settings page thru IE/telnet.the Internet port of the wifi router doesnt allow any access to the modem and neither does it allow the modem to connect to the net thru pppoe mode.i reconnected the modem to the lan port of the wifi router using the same settings as above too, but that brought back the nasty nat errors in azureus/utorrent.i didnt call Linksys support today coz today was the india vs pakistan match which we won and also won the series 3-1:yahoo:so ill call them tomorrow and see if their "experiment" was positive or not.if not, atleast they shud put in a request to the linksys devs to release a new firmware for this router that atleast allows nat to be turned off/on and also access to telnet, if possible.

@yohu123
In the first place , quote the posting where you said
"Telnet from my office to Home using X modem+ Y wireless router " or words similar to this. You are misleading the forum with the question . Open a new thread.
Your office may be 10 meter away or 10 miles away !
1.Give the setup in your home . including the Wi-fi equipment you want to telnet. from office.
Now you say you want to control the router in your Home .
2. Give the set up in Your Office
3. Confirm you have internet connection/computers in BOTH places .

@cyberwiz : What ever I post I give the link/s. Sometimes I also give under
Quote /unquote ! No originality ! You know EULA!
Update:
@yohu123

This settings page of your WRT54gc: post screen shot . Whether it is needed or not, with entries if any .

@essbebe: u have misunderstood me....i dont want to access the routers settings from outside my home network.im just saying that, that link u gave me explains on how to access the routers settings from outside a network ie. using remote management. @cyberwiz: anywayz, im in touch with Linksys support and i have to call back tomorrow coz my issue which was escalated to 2nd level support has not been attended to yet. so the support agent today told me to call back again tomorrow morning and check whether the issue is resolved coz there is no way for them to call me back or even email me and informing me the same.ill keep u guyz updated.

ok....after many days of troubleshooting with voice based technical support of Linksys and having my case escalated to level2 guys, its confirmed that currently there is no way to access telnet to this router. but they have forwarded my requirements as candidates for the next firmware release. maybe then i will be able to either use telnet, turn off/on nat and/or schedule a automatic reboot on my wrt54gc v2 router.thanx guys for all ur help and i guess this thread shud now be closed.

@yohu123
Thanks for posting a feed back, unlike many others , who don't even confirm, whether the problem is solved or not.

To keep the thread for future reference I reproduce the following :

How Can I Receive Telnets Behind a Linksys WRT54GC Router?

Next.. to address the telnet issue, did you open a port on your WRT54G to allow telnet to your external ip address, on any port, to go to your internal machine?

Since you are using port 4000 inside the firewall, you could use the same port in a firewall rule telling it to pass port 4000 into your machine.

If you look at the user's manual that came with the device (probably on that cd, OR you can go to Linksys's web site and get their current manual in PDF format) .... in the PDF version on their website, page 31 talks about the "Application and Gaming" tab of the router.

Application and Gaming is where you setup a port forward from the outside to the inside.

Call the "application name" telnet-4000. The begining and ending port is 4000, tcp should be checked, and the "To IP Address" is machine's ip 192.168.1.100.

You should also setup a static DHCP entry so that the machine running telnet is always given the IP of 192.168.1.100

Lastly.. and this is just as important at the first warning about not posting REAL ip information..

DON'T USE TELNET ....

You may be saying "but why? and why give instructions on how to pass it through the firewall?"

UNQuote.

Back