Need additional router suggestions for my new Airtel connection with ZTE F670LV9.0 for coverage issue

• Thread starter Thread starter Deadboy
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 65
  • Views Views 6,004

Deadboy

ISP
Airtel
I just got a 200Mbps connection and got ZTE F670LV9.0 with it which is kept on the ground floor. There is an issue with coverage as the room on the 1st floor gets around 26 Mbps and 12 Mbps on 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks respectively so I'm thinking of getting a second router for the 1st floor and connecting it via a LAN cable.

I expect to get the same 200Mbps on both floors and hopefully, it should support more if I upgrade the plan in the future. Do you guys have any suggestions? Also, do I need any specific type of LAN cable?

PS: I have D-Link DIR-816 and Alcatel-Lucent I-240G-D lying around. Are they any good?

Edit: I'm a noob in this stuff and will get the setup done by an Airtel technician. I'm looking for something that supports at least 500Mbps, hopefully within INR 5000.

Last edited:
TP-Link Deco X20

Something like this should be very good. Just make sure you backhaul using CAT5E or above cable

You can get almost 300 Mbps on 5Ghz with Mi 4A Gigabit Edition with openwrt and a little more with proprietary firmware, that's probably the cheapest option with warranty.

Also, I'd say you should get CAT5e from a local shop, it'll cost you almost the same.

Last edited:
You can get almost 300 Mbps on 5Ghz with Mi 4A Gigabit Edition with openwrt and a little more with proprietary firmware, that's probably the cheapest option with warranty.

Also, I'd say you should get CAT5e from a local shop, it'll cost you almost the same.
Unfortunately, I'm a noob in this stuff and will get the setup done by an Airtel technician so I guess I need something that doesn't involve a lot of tinkering.

It doesn't require any tinkering at all. Tinkering is optional and results in worse performance here. Xiaomi's router onboading is also probably the nicest and foolproof that I've ever seen, It's legit made for 5 year olds. You don't need a technician.

It's not a great device but pretty great for the price and fits your usecase, install and forget.

It doesn't require any tinkering at all. Tinkering is optional and results in worse performance here. Xiaomi's router onboading is also probably the nicest and foolproof that I've ever seen, It's legit made for 5 year olds. You don't need a technician.

It's not a great device but pretty great for the price and fits your usecase, install and forget.
I like that doesn't need any tinkering but you say it'll give me around 300Mbps. I was hoping for something that would support up to 1Gbps in case I upgrade later.

Right. I haven't thought about wireless gigabit transfers, someone else will answer your question. You probably need Wi-Fi 6 router in that case, only way that I know of to reach gigabit over Wi-Fi 5 is to use 4*4 MIMO which not many clients have.

I should clarify that ~300Mbps is real world speed over 5Ghz not a theoretical number.

Back