Need help connecting BSNL modem to belkin router

• Thread starter Thread starter poori21
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 29
  • Views Views 27,555

poori21

ISP
BSNL
Hi I am trying to setup a wireless network at home. I have a BSNL modem - UTSTARTCOM model # UT300R2U and a Belkin b router. If I connect the computer directly to the modem then the internet works fine but if I connect the router to the modem & then the computer, the connection doesnt work. Since mine is the basic plan, BSNL will not give me a static ip address. What do I do? All help is appreciated.

^ most probably your modem and router have the same IP address
(i.e. 192.168.1.1) . your router's IP address needs to be changed
by connecting it alone to the computer and logging into console .
you can change it to 192.168.1.10 & then try using it with modem .

Select Assign Auto IP address in TCP/IP properties.Use open DNS 208.67.220.220 and 208.67.222.222Check whether DHCP enabled in modem.Post Ipconfig/all details here.

I have a Belkin ADSl + Wireless modem, I called up the BSNL technician or watevaHe helped me set it up

@Raditz. Nice to hear that BSNL staff helped you, with a modem/router which they have not supplied.Can you give some details about the Belkin Model number ? Is it ADSLModem+Wi-Fi router ?Or you using a Desktop or laptop?

Raditz,

I have the same Belkin router that Poori21 has (F5D7230-4) and I'm trying to setup my BSNL Broadband with it from last 6 hours! I found very less information on this topic on the net. Could you share the solution that worked for you? The details of my problem are as follows:

Issue : Configuring Belkin F5D7230-4 Wireless router to work with BSNL Broadband using UT300R2U ADSL2 modem so that I can connect to Internet through my Belkin router wirelessly. Belkin Firmware version : 4.03.03.

Tried #1: Configuring router through Install Wizard but it fails at the last step where Belkin is trying to connect to internet.

Tried #2: Manually configured router (http://192.168.2.1) with DYNAMIC connection type; the router status shows as connected to internet but I guess it just gets an IP from BSNL's DHCP and does not connect to internet per-se as I am unable to browse net from my laptop client. Tried all other things like change the IP of router to match BSNL's client IP, cloned MAC of my laptop, tweaking MTU settings, router cold boots and hard boots etc.,. but in vain.

Tried #3: Manually configured router to use PPoE connection which is what BSNL actually uses (Username & Password provided in setup). Router simply refuses to connect and displays 'no connection' status.

Tried #4: Belkin support shows a lot of firmware upgrades (till 9.01.10) than what my router has 4.03.03; downloaded the upgrades but my router does not accept them. Throws a message saying incompatible firmware upgrade...and router gets restarted. Tried doing incremental upgrades as well as direct last upgrade...all failed! I was trying this hoping a firmware upgrade would fix the issue.

Finally: I also heard that BSNL can provide a wireless router (they call it Type 2 router) which can be the easy way out, but I want to get some ROI on my investment in my Belkin router instead :(

Any help is appreciated! Poori21, do let me know if you found anything...we have the exact same problem...and hopefully the same solution :)

Thanks,
Ram

Hi Ram, I called BSNL helpline but they wer not so helpful since they did not provide the wireless router. If I figure something out will definitely ping you. Do let me know if you manage to get it to work. poori21

Back