• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 6
  • Views Views 13,901

LaysyDesi

Regular
ISP
Beam Fibre, BSNL EVDO
Hi
Can some please help me on how to change the Dynamic IP address with Beam Fiber Broadband.
I tried..
1) Logging-off and logging in again at the Beam portal page
2) Restarting the system
3) Release and Renew commands
4) Repairing the connection option (you get it when you right click on LAN icon in system tray)
with no success..

Normally I would have switched off & On my Modem but that's not the case here...

My IP has not changed since last wednesday... and this is creeping me out.. Also this doesn't go well while downloading from storage servers (like fileserver) as i have to wait till another hour or so before I can download second file...

Cheers,
IndyMav

As far as I noticed that with Beam you get the same IP assigned for a few weeks it is bound to your MAC address so if you change your router or logon from a different computer you should get a different IP address.

As far as I noticed that with Beam you get the same IP assigned for a few weeks it is bound to your MAC address so if you change your router or logon from a different computer you should get a different IP address.

Did that already... I logged in using my laptops (2) and my PC alternatively.. but the IP remained same... :(

Little clarification, I meant to say.. that my laptop and PC had different two IP addresses... but they remained the same even after I alternatively logged into laptap and PC... I spoke to the Local Beam techinician.. he says that the IP address can't be changed as they are bound to your MAC (as ranjitbhar said) .. But he is not sure for how long... He casually said a month... When I ASKED him "1 MONTH?" he said he was not sure... Normally the IP addresses are assigned by DHCP in Modem... And every time we restart the modem the IP address is changed or in some case the IP is set to expire after certain time... So incase of Beam this.. is being done in the ONT ? Can it have the capabilities to assign the IP address... or is it done futher up...

Hey Maveric yes Beam is assigning IP address based on the MAC address and usually you get the same IP for 20-25 days I think so they are doing this to track and avoid misusage and to keep a track........... The IP is assigned from their Main server (login authentication) nothing is done on the ONT so if you need to get the new IP every time you need to play with your MAC address....... I am not very sure about the entire setup but it should be something like that.

You mean the IP is assigned on login authentication ? But I see the IP address at the login page even before authentication or even after I signout... Not sure how to change MAC address... If at all it is possible... Perhaps used another LAN card ? May be Wi-fi Lan (I've Wifi-PCI card on my desktop) ... and give me two IP addresses per PC/Laptop!Thanks anways Man!

yea..while collecting the applications..when i asked him..he confirmed it...we have only one IP address for a month or so...when i said that it'l cause problems while downloading from sites like link-removed..fileserve..he said bro..u got 10mbps plan....torrents there na :biggrin (2): :D :D:D:D

Back