NextDNS

So ran into an issue with NextDNS. My config is basically dnsmasq as a caching only dns resolver which forwards all non-cached queries to stubby which is configured for DoT to NextDNS.

The issue I noticed on two separate devices multiple times (an OpenWRT router and a CentOs 7 x86 minipc) is that stubby just goes to a hung state not responding to any queries. I had not enabled logging so not sure what exactly happens (I have since enabled logging), but restarting the stubby service resolves the problem.

I had a chat with NextDNS and they said stubby doesn't work so well with NextDNS for some reason. I've asked for their recommendation. I was on Stubby 0.2.4 on both devices when it showed the problem, I upgraded to 0.2.6 now. Let's see if the issue happens again.

Also to add, I had the exact same config for months with CloudFlare DNS (DoT) and never had an issue. This started after moving to NextDNS so its definitely some incompatibility with NextDNS. Anyway will keep an eye.

@Sushubh Sir, I have set up next dns on my router by using the provided IPv4 dns addresses. But it's still showing ads. I have also linked the Dynamic IP to NextDNS through dynamic dns. Please help.

you have to create an account and configure it from there. and use that account profile on your router. it does not block ads out of the box!

you might want to use adguard's dns service if you just need ad blocking!

i configured this on dad's phone today and it works fine. because it is on dns level... ad blocks are still there on web pages and apps but ads do not appear.

also i doubt you would be able to block ads by just entering their ipv4 address in your router. i think to make it work, you would have to link your ip in your account. and update it every time it is changed. so adguard might be a better option for you!

2Hottn0.png

check this section for instance.

maybe your devices are overriding the dns on the router? remove any custom dns settings on devices?

some isps like excitel bypass your dns servers unless you use encrypted dns. so just plain ip might not work again in such cases?

Back