Nokia Lumia 920

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 235
  • Views Views 21,692
Facebook Chat and Facebook Messenger are the same thing. Messages are still going to be synced with Facebook servers.

Yesterday I downloaded Nokia's HERE maps over WiFi (about 170 MB for my state), and today tested offline navigation while travelling to office. It really worked very fine. Of course offline navigation won't have traffic updates, but it tracks route with help of GPS precisely.
This offline navigation by Nokia itself is worth spending on Nokia's Windows Phone :)

@SVK yes its fb messenger.Is the push notifications working fine on all social network related apps?And as compared to android, are you happy with windows phone?

Yes, push notification working fine for Fb and WhatsApp. It also worked for Twitter and LinkedIn, but I disabled push notification for these apps.
I never used Android phone, so I can't compare my WP with Android. But of 2 Android phones which we have at our home, I liked WP for its simple and clean looks, and faster speed while usage.
Android surely has some more apps (like caller location display for incoming calls) which I would like to have on my WP, but perhaps MS won't allow such apps. Rest I am happy with all apps which I have.

I have never used Nokia Here maps so cannot say about quality of offline navigation. Google Maps and Waze do not offer offline navigation. I played with Sygic for a few days... It worked well. But since I have reliable data connectivity around my area so never really bothered to use it full time.

chromaniac said:
I have never used Nokia Here maps so cannot say about quality of offline navigation. Google Maps and Waze do not offer offline navigation. I played with Sygic for a few days... It worked well. But since I have reliable data connectivity around my area so never really bothered to use it full time.
google maps allow android users to cache a particular area in the phone and use it for offline navigation
Or you can set Destination "A" and destination "B" and cache the entire route beforehand. Sygic works well but interface is seriously lacking.
UCbrowser is the best browser for windows 8 ATM.

Google Maps Navigation certainly does not work offline. Sure you can get route and use that data. But you would not get voice alerts or updated route if you divert from the path.

The good thing is that navigation works on EDGE. Though it is good to have a backup app if you are going out of town :D
Here's hoping Nokia Here would come to Android once the Nokia sale to Microsoft is complete.
Nokia cannot manufacture phones till the end of 2015 but I doubt Microsoft can stop them from launching Nokia Here on Android.
From what I understand Nokia Here exists on Apple iOS right?

Back