Ordered Samsung Chromebook for Dad through iShop International!

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 110
  • Views Views 20,324

Sushubh

Admin
Staff member
ISP
Excitel
Airtel
https://broadband.forum/online-shopping/70708-purchased-samsung-n-series-np/

The netbook I purchased for dad through the above thread has well died. Samsung service center guys said that motherboard has gone bad. Repair charges? 4700. The netbook cost me around Rs. 12500 so I dropped the idea of getting it repaired.

So, I need a new laptop type product for dad. Now ideally I still want to buy him a Chromebook like last time around. But they are STILL NOT ON SALE in India.

Here are the two queries…

1. Is there any safe way to import a Chromebook from USA? Lots of folks here imported their Nexus 4 from USA… How about a Chromebook?
2. If importing a Chromebook is not that good of an idea… What else? He is currently trying to make do with my Nexus 7 but smaller display does not work well for him. A netbook? A budget ultrabook?

Now, his requirements are simple. He just needs to keep an eye on stock prices. A browser is enough. Now the markets are open for around 6-7 hours right? So need a power backup that is at least 5-6 hours. More would be better. Now, I get it, expecting 6-7 hours of backup from a laptop these days has become a stupidity. This is why I am very interested in Samsung’s ARM processor based Chromebook.

Suggestions?

Nexus 10?

n7 is around 20K in india. n10 is like 25-30K. plus tablets i am realizing are not very good at delivering real time updates. dad killed the battery on the n7 in 5 hours flat just keeping an eye on stock prices. and he was not very happy. prices did not update properly most of the times. tablet is hard to use while laying down on the bed. you have to use your hands to keep it in your front. now you would probably say stand. then what is the freaking point? why not a cheap laptop?

oh wait. there are two listings of chromebook on junglee!

what say you guys?

@Chromy, Go out of the House to Some Electronic Stores such as Croma or Reliance Digital, Test it and take it whichever fits for your dad, don't be so lazy.:p

if you do not have anything useful to say, please stay away from this thread. samsung has not launched chromebooks in india. so i have to look for an online route.

Cheap laptops won't provide enough battery backup needed. You would have to choose between Chromebook or an Ultrabook. Custom duty on laptops is 16% afaik. Shipping would approximately cost around 4 - 5k (roughly calculated using a shipping calculator of ppobox.com).Strange that HS18 is giving 1 year manufacturer warranty for a product not launched in India. Does it have an International warranty?The price difference between those two sellers is around 8k. Incidently Bhejo.com is not opening.

250 dollars for the product. add 25 dollars for tax. 275 dollars. 15K. 20K including shipping. 20% 25K? HomeShop looks like a decent deal in that case coz it is the 3G model?Bhejo does not clarify if their model is the 3G one or not. there is a 80 dollar price difference between the 3G and the Wi-Fi only version :)

HomeShop18 has this deal on Junglee: 28,699.00 FREE Shipping Use GC No. 'GCU5DTP4VE2V' and get Rs. 2000/- off during check out when you pay online.So, I get it for 26700. I really looks tempting even though it is 8K more than the US price :P--lol i do not really expect samsung to honor warranty. when i was at the service center. i just asked them about chromebooks. they had heard about them. they have even seen them from some international tourists. they said that the only problems that they encountered were related to faulty adapters. the laptops usually had no issues.now i am hoping for manu to arrive in case he can find me a better deal :D should check out ebay.in as well.

Back