Pollution Problem in Delhi NCR

Source

Right. Now a person needs to think if filing a petition is worth the potential fine or not. It's a reasonable plea. If you don't like it, reject it. If the media goes after everything related to a hot topic, does that mean that the person who filed the plea is doing it for media attention?

Come on if you want to file a petition when only 1-2 days are left... its definitely time waste of people and court.

Because even if SC accepted the PIL it would not hear it atleast for 1 or 2 days by which time ODD-EVEN rule was anyway going to end.

I am not saying dont go to court.

If you now actually want to go to court then now take some data which proves that 15 days of ODD-EVEN was not worth it.

And ask court to rule that Delhi Govt. should no more bring this rule.

Only then it would be something productive.

I am going to assume that the petition was not filed today. I doubt SC would comment on a petition on the same date as the filing date.
Delhi Government has clearly stated that Odd Even II would be implemented soon. So the PIL is not specifically related to the ongoing event.
The onus is on the government to prove that Odd Even has cleaned up pollution in Delhi. Delhi Government can keep on coming out with figures that show reduction in pollution but there has been no indication that it solves the pollution problem in Delhi. Sure it might come down for a few hours when traffic is low. But it is back up at night when trucks are allowed to pass through Delhi and so on.
I am not sure if the PIL included statements on how Delhi Government has not implemented anything else to control pollution. No ban on diesel generators or anything else. They have not even started vacuuming the roads of Delhi yet. IIRC they would only start doing that in April. There is a lot of matter to shame the lack of initiatives on part of the government itself that could be presented in front of the court. But sadly, the judges does not appear to look at the bigger picture.

I think that petition went to SC because Delhi HC refused earlier plea.

Which means it was files just 1-2days back and HC order was declared just 1-2 days back.

So clearly there was no point in filing petition when only 1-2 days were left.

Delhi govt will obviously show figures that they have. And courts have to accept it as that is the only one that will counted as official unless courts ask for independent monitoring.

Even if court accepts petition then Delhi govt will show figures. And then it becomes petitioners job to prove that those figures are wrong.

CM of Delhi is busy in Punjab these days. Delhi is set to become a mini India where the head of the government is busy with external matters.

These are the figures released by Delhi Government this week. No idea what time of the day these figures have been taken. Average/Mean or just lowest.

oApEHt8.jpg

50-100 is considered acceptable. Under 50 is recommended. EU appears to consider 25 as a safe value.

Particulates - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If I look at the figures of an independent monitoring service, the figures are nowhere close to these:

Anand Vihar, Delhi, Delhi Air Pollution: Real-time PM2.5 Air Quality Index (AQI)

Source

Source

Source

The courts should have asked the government to hire an independent authority with results made available online for anyone to access and check with historical data. Right now I find it hard to trust the data provided by Delhi Government.

Back