Recommended Google Android Apps

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 745
  • Views Views 61,463
Status
Not open for further replies.
i am sick of hearing about piracy on android and how paid apps on android do badly compared to paid apps on ios. i understand that it is impossible to purchase apps without a credit card but then i think same applies on the iPhone as well. do the right thing. do not pirate.

^ Badly is an understatement. Google would be embarrassed if they had to compare the numbers. I guess pirated apps are one of Android's "benefits", one reason why developers shy away from this platform. Are there any apps that were considered revolutionary on the Android platform and then ported to iOS? I am not aware of any atleast! Even apps ported to Android for some reason do not work the same way they do on the i* devices, whether intentional or otherwise is debatable.

apps that are considered revolutionary on android cannot work on ios because Apple does not allow them to. it is as simple as that. i can safely say ios users would love the kind of apps we have on android... airdroid and the likes. which are simply not doable on the ios platform. noticed a tweet from a friend today. he loves sparrow email client on his iPhone. but he was sad that he cannot make it his default email client. users on iphone cannot make chrome or opera or firefox their default browser. apps like sparrow and tweetbot would not come to android because the developers claim their love for everything apple. good for them.

apps like sparrow and tweetbot would not come to android because the developers claim their love for everything Apple. good for them.

or it could be monetary befits, thats why they don't want to spend time to develop for android.
Apple has created this aura around itself that they are a royalty and can dictate to the consumer, and consumer is dumb enough to fall for that, hence they have $500 Billion in their coffers. Yaa sure good for business but bad for innovation and the consumer.
Even my technologically challenged grandma hates the concept of itunes and syncing the whole hard drive if she wants to add one extra paath puja bhajan or shabad.
3 cheers for My grandma pls.:thumbup:

I am guessing a lot of paid Apps in Apple store are free in Android. Might be a factor.

Real utility apps in Android almost always have a free version. Its obvious more people will go to the free version as compared to the buyers of premium versions. If u can make do with a few ads here or there in a free version, then y do u need to buy it? As far as other apps are concerned, which involve some novelty factor for people, there are people like me too, who buy them. I saw Smart Tools and found it something different. So i got it.....its a different fact that i havent used it much till now. Point is.....many Android users do buy apps, piracy is reducing IMO. But the very fact that apps have ad supported free version, is a major factor for Android apps seeing less revenues than iOS apps.As a common man, i would prefer to buy something which doesnt charge unnecessary premium for its name, and also doesnt have "essential" sort of apps selling at premium.

^ While you make some valid points regarding purchase behaviour, I don't agree that piracy on Android is reducing. The numbers just don't indicate so. I remember mentioning even on this forum some time back how poorly apps sell on Android, even if they are popular across platforms. What is worse is that just like with Windows, many people don't even realise they are pirating an app (there are many who think they have 'paid' for Windows when they have actually bought a pirated a CD / DVD for 50 bucks). Google IMO has simply failed to curb piracy on Android. As developers of mobile apps, we sometimes wonder if it is part of a 'plan' from Google.

I agree with ur point on Windows. Years back even I didn't knew that I used pirated stuff. But these days the AV companies are making a lot of fuss around this. They run emotionally blackmailing ads on radios that their AV suite costs less then the scratch guard that u buy.....and people are slowly realizing now.So atleast when I like an app, I do buy it, or if I can't afford, I don't use it at all. But no pirating. Atleast my outlook towards pirated apps in cell and even for PC's has changed.U can imagine that if my outlook has changed, then it is a notable thing! :D

Try Sensorly:
https://play.google.com/store/search?q=sensorly&c=apps
Who's the best carrier for you ?
Sensorly will help you discover who the best carrier is FOR YOU, based on millions of recordings made by our users throughout the world:
- test your carrier's network speed anywhere you are.
- see carrier's 2G, 3G, 4G and WiFi coverage on beautiful maps with street-level accuracy
- compare carrier's coverage and signal quality for any location in the world using our unique 'compare' feature
- report indoor locations with poor coverage using Foursquare's list of locations
- map your neighborhood easily with our non-intrusive data collection (optional)

This app. will also show you everything the phone can tell us about your phone's network connectivity : cell tower identfication or BSSID, signal strength (RSSI), etc. It works for CDMA, GSM, WiFi, Wimax and LTE.

Our information is provided free of charge, we hope you will contribute to the database and map your neighborhood in return (but you don't have to)

Our application is 100% configurable : choose the map to show, enable/disable data collection, automate data collection, send only over Wifi, etc... you have total control.
Sensorly does not collect any personal data, phone number, IMEI and does not even collect the phone's unique identifier (UUID). We do not need it to build aggregate coverage maps !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back