Recording programs from Tata Sky

• Thread starter Thread starter haril
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 34
  • Views Views 15,771
As Hitman as said the problem is with the NTSC/PAL the recorder is from US right that recorder is created according to the US TV signal and most of the signal there are in NTSC refer the recorder manual wether it support the PAL also

Hi Hari, were you able to solve the problem? I have the same problem with my recently bought DVR (Magnavox) from US. The picture appears black and white with a black band at the top. Any help is greatly appreciated. RegardsShankr

Hi Hari,

were you able to solve the problem? I have the same problem with my recently bought DVR (Magnavox) from US. The picture appears black and white with a black band at the top.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Regards
Shankr

Hi Guys,
I have bought a DVD Philips recorder from US. I too faced the problem, it's because of PAL to NTSC conversion in US Recorders.

TO overcome this buy a PAL to NTSC converter, connect it this works great.

In Bangalore: it costs 2500 in S.P Road, in chennai it costs 1800 in globetronics, Ritchie Street, Mount Road. In delhi try chandini chowk it's 2,000 RS.

If any let me know !

Hi Guys ...
All products sold in US are not compatible with European standards and Asian Standards. In Indian subcontinent we use the PAL B and PAL G system. Whereas US uses NTSC 3.58 and Japan uses NTSC 4.43 system. Before you buy any product from JAPAN & US which involves VIDEO, check it supports PAL standard too.
Tata Sky uses PAL G Standard. INFO given by CC is Bull Shit:evil:.
Signal is protected till the time it enters the STB, after it is decoded and once out thru RF, RCA, S Video or Composite its free.
Check your video setting on Recorder. If it supports PAL its OK. Otherwise here is an experiment you can do if your TV supports NTSC playback
Connect to
Digicomp AV out >>>>> RECORDER AV IN >>>>> MODE NTSC >>>>> Record it >>>
Playback on TV in NTSC Mode.:( I doubt it..
OR you need to buy a Converter
Have a Detailed Info of PAL NTSC and other standards

NTSC and PAL Formats

NTSC

NTSC stands for the National Television Standards Committee. It is a video signal standard used by the color television industry in the United States and Japan.
The NTSC is a common format used by many video compression boards.
NTSC video contains frames and fields. Most NTSC video frames consist of two interlaced fields. Each field is displayed as alternating horizontal lines across the screen. Most computer video formats are non-interlaced.
The frame aspect ratio used by the NTSC standard format is 4:3. This format uses a 640 by 480 resolution.

By using the NTSC standard for digital video, there are two areas of concern when dealing with aspect ratios. They are as follows:

[*]· Pixel aspect ratio
· Frame aspect ratio
[/list]There are various divisions within the NTSC standard which determine what pixel and frame aspect ratios are used. These formats are as follows:

[*]· NTSC (resolution 648 x 486 - preferred format)
· D-1 NTSC (resolution 720 x 486)
· D-1 NTSC Square Pix (resolution 720 x 540)
[/list]NTSC (Preferred Format)

This NTSC format uses a 648 by 486 resolution format. This format makes an allowance for a few additional pixels to be created on the screen edge that may be cut off when displayed. This format is also commonly used by many video compression boards.
Because this format allows you to display a video without losing the "edges" of your video during playback, this resolution seems to be the preference within the industry.

D-1 NTSC

The D-1 NTSC format uses the same standard frame aspect ratio as the NTSC format. Unlike the NTSC format, the D-1 NTSC format uses a 720 by 486 resolution using rectangular pixels.
The D-1 pixels used in the NTSC format are displayed using a vertical axis.

D-1 NTSC Square Pix

This format uses the same standard frame aspect ratio as the NTSC format. Unlike the NTSC format, the D-1 NTSC Square Pix uses a 720 by 540 resolution using rectangular pixels.

PAL

PAL stands for the Phase Alternating Line. This is a video standard used by the color television industry and is the common standard used in Europe. This video signal format sets the video to playback at 25 frames per second which contain 625 lines of pixels in each frame.

There are various divisions within the PAL standard which determine what pixel and frame aspect ratios are used. These formats are as follows:

[*]· PAL (resolution 720 x 486)
· D-1 PAL (resolution 720 x 576)
· D-1 PAL Square Pix (resolution 768 x 576)
[/list]D-1 PAL

The D-1 pixels used in the PAL format are displayed using a horizontal axis. This format uses the same standard frame aspect ratio as the PAL format. Unlike the PAL format, the D-1 PAL uses a 720 by 576 resolution.

D-1 PAL Square Pix

This format uses the same standard frame aspect ratio as the PAL format. Unlike the PAL format, the D-1 PAL Square Pix uses a 768 by 576 resolution using rectangular pixels.

HDTV (1280 x 720)

The HDTV stands for High Definition Television. This format is a proposed definition which displays at 1280 by 720 resolution.

HDTV (1920 x 1080)

The HDTV stands for High Definition Television. This format is a proposed definition which displays at 1920 by 1080 resolution.

Film (Academy)

This format uses 2048 x 1536, a standard resolution used for digital film.
http://cgi.ebay.in/Play-Station-2-P...categoryZ62053QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting cost Rs 990 on EBAY but they say it will convert PAL to NTSC for gaming console as it include only Video
will work for you

Hi Guys ...
Signal is protected till the time it enters the STB, after it is decoded and once out thru RF, RCA, S Video or Composite its free.

Hey nice info :thumbsup: Thanks!
BTW, in the STB project which I am working, we have on demand content which are copy-protected by Macrovision, due to which the STB output content cannot be copied by analog (RCA/SCART/S-Video on VCR/PC) or Digital (HDMI on Hard disk/DVD). While on Analog the captured video is disrupted by Video sync signals mismatch done by copy protection mechanism, and on digital recorders simply message "Copy Protected content" is displayed. This only done for On-demand content, but TV channels can be recorded.
Don't know what policy Tata Sky follow, may be their SHOWCASE content is copyprotected

Well I've not tried it yet ..but I don't think this is active here in India. Although they are reflecting the STB and VC info on the strip every hour on TV screen.. you can record it on a Pinnacle TV tuner..:whistle:

No updates from my side. I am yet to buy a pal to ntsc converter, which could be the solution as described in one of the posts above by 'andarun'.

:P Don't go for buying a PAL to NTSC bi-converter or something sort of that guys. Just do this, Hari and all you guys who face the same issue - first connect appropriately the three AV wires (Red-White-Yellow) from your STB to your TV's video in. Now you need a extra pair of AV cord (3-Wires Red-White-Yellow), connect one end to AV (Audio/Video) out of your TV set & the other correspondingly to the AV in of your DVD-Recorder (recorders input). This will ensure that the signal provided to the TV (even if encrypted from TS) is clean & coz ur TV has no encryption for its TV out the Input to ur DVD-Recorder is not encrypted in anyway. Modern TV can work with both NTSC & PAL video standards. Tata Sky sends PAL signat from STB to TV. Now if you have an NTSC standard DVD-Recorder, in your TV menu just switch the format of AV signal out to NTSC (see no need to buy a seperate PAL to NTSC convertor). I faced a similar issue with my VHS recorder in-built in my Sony Handycam when I tried to record a Showcase movie I ordered. I re-wired the whole setup as explained above & it solved my problem. Try it, it may work for you too.

In My TV, i have totally 9 pins. 3 for AV. 3 for Monitor out and another 3 for Monitor in. If i plug my AV out from TS STB to Monitor in, TV does not respond. What is the purpose of Monitor out and in pins. :huh:

In My TV, i have totally 9 pins.

3 for AV.

3 for Monitor out and another 3 for Monitor in.
If i plug my AV out from TS STB to Monitor in, TV does not respond. What is the purpose of Monitor out and in pins. :huh:

Did you select AV in your tv? If 1st av IN not working then try 2nd AV IN.

Back