Reliance Big TV DTH Service Launch

• Thread starter Thread starter pondpaka
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 424
  • Views Views 236,294
Big TV to launch its DTH services by June end

Anil Ambani's Big TV is all set to launch its direct-to-home (DTH) services by the end of June 2008, a source close to the development, who doesn't wish to be named, said.

\"Big TV plans to invest Rs 300 crore on marketing initiatives in the first year of the launch. The DTH service will be launched under the brand name Big TV,\" the source says.

Big TV would face tough competition from three other operational private DTH players - Dish TV, with 3.2 million users; Tata Sky, which has a subscription of 2 million; and the regional player Sun Direct, whose subscriber base is less than 1 million.

The company is believed to have selected more than 1.25 lakh retail outlets across 4,500 towns across India to give a push to its new venture. More than 700 distributors have already been signed.

A two-day meeting of all circle chief executive officers, marketing and sales heads of Big TV has already taken place in Mumbai to work out the finer details of the launch.

The company had started its test launch in January with around 60 channels. It has now increased its offering to over 190 channels and 20 radio channels. It plans to offer over 250 channels on the Big TV platform within a month of the commercial launch, including pay-per-view channels.

The company has set up a redundant uplinking site at Bangalore in addition to the main site at Navi Mumbai. The infrastructure set up at Bangalore would enable the viewers to enjoy a superior viewing experience irrespective of weather conditions.

Big TV has also placed an order for 5 million set-top boxes, which would be delivered in the next 16-18 months. It is betting big on the MPEG4 platform, which offers a fully digital feed and allows access to more than 250 channels as compared with 160 channels MPEG2 platform offers.

The source also informs that Big TV plans to come out with a pricing strategy at the current industry levels, but also hopes to offer a wider content variety as well a better viewing experience.

An Big TV spokesperson in an statement said, \"Reliance Communications is in advanced stages of launching Big TV DTH services. Big TV DTH service aims to be the most preferred option for home entertainment solutions across customer segments. Like in case of all offerings from Reliance ADA Group, customers using Big TV DTH services would be able to avail of better service quality, enhanced features and wider offerings at prevailing price points.\"

According to the 2008 Ficci-PwC report on Indian entertainment and media industry, DTH households are expected to grow from 4 million in 2007 to 25 million by 2012.

Big TV to launch its DTH services by June end | Televisionpoint.com News

I am waiting for the launch of this product from almost 1 year. I hope it will bring ver strong competition in the market.Well, currently i am using h@thway cable network.

abhijeetv... i am certainly not a dud to be not able to differentiate a vsat and a Ku band "DTH" dish..... but i agree with nitin.... there is a chance no testing has begun and the dish is wantedly hung there for an eyecatcher ????????

Does "transponder" have any fixed bandwidth? Or in other words, does total number of transponders indicate total available bandwidth for a given DTH company?

Why do you guys think Reliance is gonna do any better than the existing players? I'm not being pessimistic, but, Reliance hasn't done anything excellent before. I hardly hear of people using Reliance mobiles in urban areas. Their broadband is one of the costliest, and their tariffs or speeds haven't been revised in ages.

I'm sorry to say, but I've got little hope in Reliance.

dont u know what reliance has already done?
dish tv annual with installation @ 4000 & Tata Sky super saver @ 260 per month

thats what reliance has done:thumbsup:

Anil Ambani's Big TV is all set to launch its direct-to-home (DTH) services by the end of June 2008, a source close to the development, who doesn't wish to be named, said.

"Big TV plans to invest Rs 300 crore on marketing initiatives in the first year of the launch. The DTH service will be launched under the brand name Big TV," the source says.

Big TV would face tough competition from three other operational private DTH players - Dish TV, with 3.2 million users; Tata Sky, which has a subscription of 2 million; and the regional player Sun Direct, whose subscriber base is less than 1 million.

The company is believed to have selected more than 1.25 lakh retail outlets across 4,500 towns across India to give a push to its new venture. More than 700 distributors have already been signed.

A two-day meeting of all circle chief executive officers, marketing and sales heads of Big TV has already taken place in Mumbai to work out the finer details of the launch.

The company had started its test launch in January with around 60 channels. It has now increased its offering to over 190 channels and 20 radio channels. It plans to offer over 250 channels on the Big TV platform within a month of the commercial launch, including pay-per-view channels.

The company has set up a redundant uplinking site at Bangalore in addition to the main site at Navi Mumbai. The infrastructure set up at Bangalore would enable the viewers to enjoy a superior viewing experience irrespective of weather conditions.

Big TV has also placed an order for 5 million set-top boxes, which would be delivered in the next 16-18 months. It is betting big on the MPEG4 platform, which offers a fully digital feed and allows access to more than 250 channels as compared with 160 channels MPEG2 platform offers.

The source also informs that Big TV plans to come out with a pricing strategy at the current industry levels, but also hopes to offer a wider content variety as well a better viewing experience.

An Big TV spokesperson in an statement said, "Reliance Communications is in advanced stages of launching Big TV DTH services. Big TV DTH service aims to be the most preferred option for home entertainment solutions across customer segments. Like in case of all offerings from Reliance ADA Group, customers using Big TV DTH services would be able to avail of better service quality, enhanced features and wider offerings at prevailing price points."

According to the 2008 Ficci-PwC report on Indian entertainment and media industry, DTH households are expected to grow from 4 million in 2007 to 25 million by 2012.

Source : - Big TV to launch its DTH services by June end | Televisionpoint.com News

hello everybody,those who were eagerly waiting for BIG TV , now the wait ends here...........On 15th june 2008 is the day , when BIG TV is going to be officially launch.infact they ( big tv) have given a hint through a HIDDEN ADVT. in a major daily english news paper . SAMAJH SAKO TOH SAMAJHO i am sure that on 15th they will lauch it and for physical distribution of STB's will take another 7 days time.all the curtain will go up on 15th june.. NJOY !

Back