Reliance Big TV DTH Service Launch

• Thread starter Thread starter pondpaka
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 424
  • Views Views 236,283
DD for first order is already collected from distributors and supply will be reach on 15th or 16th june, 2008.

Looks more like an ad for TiVo rather than DTH!!

With the direct-to home race hotting up, Anil Ambani’s Big TV has decided to launch in haste. The company is planning a June 24 launch, said industry sources, with teaser campaigns hitting televisions four days before the launch. Abhisekh Bachchan may be used as a brand ambassador sources added.

Big TV’s entry, this month may intensify the action in the DTH space that is seeing a fierce price-war. Big TV already serves 50,000 customers who are part of its pilot launch and are its employees and customers of associate companies. According to the 2008 Ficci-PwC report on Indian entertainment and media industry, DTH households are expected to grow from 4 million in 2007 to 25 million by 2012.
When contacted, a Big TV spokesperson said, "Reliance Communications is in advanced stages of launching Big TV DTH services. Big TV DTH service aims to be the most preferred option for home entertainment solutions across customer segments. Like in case of all offerings from Reliance ADA Group, customers using Big TV DTH services would be able to avail of better service quality, enhanced features and wider offerings at prevailing price points".
The company may launch its services across 6000 towns this month itself. Actor Abhishek Bachchan will be the brand ambassador for Big TV, sources said. Tie-ups with television companies to make LCD television sets available with a Big TV connection at subsidised costs are in final stages. The pricing details are not known. The annual packages offered to employees came at a monthly subscription fee of Rs 325 with Rs 100 worth of pay per view content free. The installation charges were Rs 1000.
Existing DTH services providers such as Tata Sky and Dish TV, which share about 5 million subscribers between themselves have of late, been busy wooing consumers with offers at reduced prices and attractive packages.
Industry sources point out that both of them are bleeding with losses of over Rs 1000 crore but experts feel that the market has a great potential and that initially there is a subscriber acquisition cost, that has to be incurred.
Salil Pitale, head of media practice at ENAM Investment Bank said, “The DTH market presents a fantastic opportunity and the entry of yet another player will work well for the market. A bulk of the existing cable TV market is in analogue mode and waiting to be converted either through digital television or through DTH. Between Dish TV and Tata Sky, 4.5 – 5 million subscribers are shared. With a total of over 70 million cable and satellite homes, the opportunity is huge.”

Source: Reliance may launch Big TV this month- Hindustan Times

We are all wrong. this was MTNL IPTV adv along with Aksh!Hindustan times has given full 1 page ad.

This was an MTNL IPTV AD along with Aksh.

AD which is published in Times of India (Mumbai Edition)

the website is not working .. hehe!but this looks impressive999Rs is refunable so if i am not happy, i get it back.100Rs for Sony, Star is good offer too. But i think ESS wud not be there as of now (website not working so cant check channel list).ESS might come soon though as broadcasters have now agreed to offer channels to IPTV at same cost as DTH service.

Update:website has started working but no where they have listed available channels which creates suspicion in my mind.

Rs. 100 for Sony/star but do i really watch sony and star??? i think, NO - i dont watch them. usually i watch - mtv, v, discovery, few news channels, bindaas, 9xm, zoom these companies are too smart to earn more. they keep few of those channels as "add-on" pack so either way we pay out more to watch them - and its all same. pay more, get more. (or in other way - to get more, pay more)

as of now there is only 1 package for mumbai and delhi, no addon nothing. but now as i said, broadcasters have agreed to provide channels to IPTV at same rate as DTH, so wud shud now see more packages soon.

Back