Reliance Industries Limited promises broadband revolution in India

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 47
  • Views Views 29,036
I am expecting atleast something from qualcomm. They said they are ready to launch 4G by this years end. Lets see what they have to offer unlike Airtel 3G.

I am expecting atleast something from qualcomm. They said they are ready to launch 4G by this years end. Lets see what they have to offer unlike Airtel 3G.

qualcomm has just come sell its LTE and has well achieved it. It has sold or will sell its BWA licenses to Airtel.

But actually all operators have turned BWA to a joke. It has been one year and still no signs of a rollout. Today most of the BTS have to just change/add software to start services like HSDPA/LTE etc. but this f****g telcos are in no mood to start quickly.

Rel BWA may only launch by 2012 jan-feb that's a f****g 1.5yrs from allotment. This guys should be fined heavily for this late stuff. Same goes for BSNL sold the BWA !!! to fraud company's.

qualcomm has just come sell its LTE and has well achieved it. It has sold or will sell its BWA licenses to Airtel.

But actually all operators have turned BWA to a joke. It has been one year and still no signs of a rollout. Today most of the BTS have to just change/add software to start services like HSDPA/LTE etc. but this f****g telcos are in no mood to start quickly.

All the operators bidding for 3G all had 3G capable equipment (of varying revisions) operating when they were bidding and when the licenses were won, (just with the 3G turned off), and all they needed to do was turn that feature on.

LTE equipment is different again, and nobody had any LTE equipment rolled out when the licenses were won. While some LTE equipment is backwards compatible to 3G and 2G, they couldn't just take some existing base stations and perform a software update to all of a sudden make it work with LTE. HSDPA or HSPA+, sure, if the equipment was built to handle it, but not for LTE which is classed as a different technology altogether.

Rel BWA may only launch by 2012 jan-feb that's a f****g 1.5yrs from allotment. This guys should be fined heavily for this late stuff. Same goes for BSNL sold the BWA !!! to fraud company's.

For a rollout of this scale, I'd say it's not too bad, and I have it on reasonably good authority that January 2012 is a realistic launch time frame. Of course, this only really applies to Infotel - the other operators who won BWA spectrum seem to be sitting around with their thumbs up their arses.

All the operators bidding for 3G all had 3G capable equipment (of varying revisions) operating when they were bidding and when the licenses were won, (just with the 3G turned off), and all they needed to do was turn that feature on.

LTE equipment is different again, and nobody had any LTE equipment rolled out when the licenses were won. While some LTE equipment is backwards compatible to 3G and 2G, they couldn't just take some existing base stations and perform a software update to all of a sudden make it work with LTE. HSDPA or HSPA+, sure, if the equipment was built to handle it, but not for LTE which is classed as a different technology altogether.

well i can assure you that very few ops had 3G ready BTS's. actually except reliance (claimed by them)none had 3G ready BTS's.
That's the reason for the (well cant say it but) delayed roll out of 3G. there are still many important towns were there is no trace of 3G, what will u say abt that.

One of my friend's brother works in Nokia(NSN perhaps) and he said that they had got contract to change all BTS to 3g ready ones in bihar's some district. He said that they had to change some modular cards for that and all that stuff.

To add all HSPA plus systems can easily migrate to LTE due to this modular design approach implemented currently...if i am not wrong.

well i can assure you that very few ops had 3G ready BTS's. actually except reliance (claimed by them)none had 3G ready BTS's.
That's the reason for the (well cant say it but) delayed roll out of 3G. there are still many important towns were there is no trace of 3G, what will u say abt that.

3G has been being activated since not long after the auction ended, which suggests that there was equipment already out there, but in small towns, it's pretty understandable - quite often networking gear is recycled again and again until it either craps out or reaches the end of it's useful life, so as the urban areas get new equipment, the old equipment gets moved out to more rural areas.

If, however, there is equipment in the field that hasn't had 3G "switched on", then it may be a planning or network capacity issue depending on how the provider has the backhaul provisioned - they still have to buy fibre to connect those base stations up (or do it with wireless which is just ugly) and as such, may even be a cost/return on investment issue in some places.

One of my friend's brother works in Nokia(NSN perhaps) and he said that they had got contract to change all BTS to 3g ready ones in bihar's some district. He said that they had to change some modular cards for that and all that stuff.

Out of the tens of thousands of BTSes all over India, how many of them were 3G enabled was "significant" as far as population is concerned but actual geographical coverage, not so much. I can't imagine there being particularly great coverage in Bihar (which is rather unfortunate by itself), but this is kind of what I said, isn't it? Not just a software update, additional hardware needed.

To add all HSPA plus systems can easily migrate to LTE due to this modular design approach implemented currently...if i am not wrong.

I'm not sure that HSPA can migrate to LTE without upgrading the base station hardware, otherwise the equipment manufacturers are really pulling the wool over our eyes. Whether it's as simple as inserting another module in to existing hardware to have LTE and HSXX operating from the same base station would depend on the manufacturer.

3G has been being activated since not long after the auction ended, which suggests that there was equipment already out there, but in small towns, it's pretty understandable - quite often networking gear is recycled again and again until it either craps out or reaches the end of it's useful life, so as the urban areas get new equipment, the old equipment gets moved out to more rural areas.

If, however, there is equipment in the field that hasn't had 3G "switched on", then it may be a planning or network capacity issue depending on how the provider has the backhaul provisioned - they still have to buy fibre to connect those base stations up (or do it with wireless which is just ugly) and as such, may even be a cost/return on investment issue in some places.

I'm not sure that HSPA can migrate to LTE without upgrading the base station hardware, otherwise the equipment manufacturers are really pulling the wool over our eyes. Whether it's as simple as inserting another module in to existing hardware to have LTE and HSXX operating from the same base station would depend on the manufacturer.

Huawei Asia Pacific

Tata Teleservices selects NSN to supply 3G | Global Telecoms Business

http://www.lightreading.in/document.asp?doc_id=205487

the articles suggest a diff. story

Just I visited recently to Bihar and Most of Rural tower are only GPRS Enabled, not even EDGE. 3G Coverage was too crap(I'd had to go to roof top to get signal :| ). More over speed was capped at max 1mbps Downlink and 130-140kbps Uplink x_x

Coming back to point.............

Reliance has a habit to Suprise everyone so can we expect something quiet soon?

well i just bumped up into the article LTE ready for action which has a line " A Reliance Infotel executive earlier informed us that the company would launch BWA within the first half of the year.".

well first half is almost over, so..is it the time for some fireworks...!!!:solid:

A Reliance Infotel executive earlier informed us that the company would launch BWA within the first half of the year.".

well first half is almost over, so..is it the time for some fireworks...!!!:solid:

First half of 2012 maybe!

Back