Reliance Jio Fiber Review from Kerala

• Thread starter Thread starter Sammy
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 39
  • Views Views 7,619
Just got the connection installed about 2 weeks back and it was the longest process ever mostly due to the lockdown. My house was ~95m from their FDB and they were hesitant to give me a connection first because of the fiber usage on their end. After a little bit of back and forth, they were ready to provide me with the service and then another roadblock where they said that they have to wait for more fiber to arrive due to a shortage. Finally after about a month of waiting, I got a visit from the salesperson who finally registered my account and had the connection installed same day. Funny thing is after installation they had used about 160m of cable after all that fuss about 100m max :ROFLMAO:

Sales people and technicians are very friendly people who are ready to help if you call them directly with any queries. They also told me that in my locality there were literally only 5 active users and the new connections they are giving out in my city are under the radar because of an issue with the district PWD. The contractors they hired had just gone ahead and installed kms of cable and posts which racked them up with a whopping INR 3.5cr fine. So they're not really advertising their services until the dispute is resolved. Plus a lot of people have dropped their connections after they went from the preview offer to paid.

Speeds are pretty consistent throughout the day. International transit speeds sometimes take a slight hit during peak hours but not too often. All the tests done below were during peak hours-

jiotestmynet.webp
jiofast.webp
jiode.webp

jiolondon.webp

jiony.webp

jiosg.webp

Latency is also somewhat stable with decent times to most international servers. However, routing can be real stupid sometimes. From what I've observed, a lot of my traffic transits through Chennai > Jio Singapore and then to the destination. (If you guys want me to run an Open Visual TR to any specific IP's I can try)

I run NAT Type 2 on my PS4 and have open NAT on my PC and old Xb360. I get about 60ms ping on Warzone(SEA), 70ms on Overwatch(SEA) and 150-160ms on EU, 30-40ms on CSGO (Casuals, sorry I don't have Faceit), 260ms to OVH based FiveM servers in Toronto. Pings are pretty steady and I have had no issue with packet loss.

As usual, there's much to be desired from Jio. More FUP data, Public IPv4, bridge mode, etc. but compared to the ISP's I have around me, Jio is probably the only choice for now. Also they're the only ISP in Kerala to provide 1Gbps speeds.

Attachments

• jiode.webp
    jiode.webp
    11.8 KB · Views: 418
Forgive my pleb formatting.
which plan Gold or Diamond??

@rtr00t jio 4g lacks in adequate 4g spectrum atleast here in kerala and they have thrice the number of customers than their spectrum capacity.Thats why they cannot utilise their fiber backend much effectively. If Vodafone completes its integration with idea in kerala then they will have the capacity to handle all the customers from jio and airtel...

@rtr00t I'm in Thrissur. Can't be much more specific than that. Feel free to DM me for any details but here's the office that I got in touch with to get my connection - Reliance Jio Infocomm Ltd.,

When I'm on my phone it with GPS, it defaults me to servers in Kerala with <10ms ping but on my pc I always get Bangalore with sub 20ms ping or Chennai with sub 10ms ping.

@bobby_kes Gold plan

Last edited:
@rtr00t jio 4g lacks in adequate 4g spectrum atleast here in kerala and they have thrice the number of customers than their spectrum capacity.Thats why they cannot utilise their fiber backend much effectively. If Vodafone completes its integration with idea in kerala then they will have the capacity to handle all the customers from jio and airtel...
Exactly as i thought. Wonder when they plan to address this. I am sure this is case not only in kerala.

@rtr00t I'm in Thrissur. Can't be much more specific than that. Feel free to DM me for any details but here's the office that I got in touch with to get my connection - Reliance Jio Infocomm Ltd.,

When I'm on my phone it with GPS, it defaults me to servers in Kerala with <10ms ping but on my pc I always get Bangalore with sub 20ms ping or Chennai with sub 15ms ping.
I will try to contact them to get some information. I see Jio OFC poles with double cables these days, maybe an upgrade?

Possibly. When they were first offering their services here they were only offering upto 250mbps. Now they seem to be offering all the packages.

Exactly as i thought. Wonder when they plan to address this. I am sure this is case not only in kerala.

I will try to contact them to get some information. I see Jio OFC poles with double cables these days, maybe an upgrade?
They cannot until government initiates another spectrum auction, they were planning for this year but due to covid and all I dont think it will happen this year, and government is forcing for 5g auction if that happens no operators will bid for anything and still we will be suffering from slow speeds.

Honestly, the 4G speeds are ridiculous right now. When Jio first launched I was getting an easy 50-60mbps then gradually it went down to 30 up until last year. Now I'm lucky to get above 5 during the lockdown. The number of people using JioFi instead of a wired broadband connection is ridiculous.

@Sammy you can try vodafone idea .in places where their integration work is completed, u will get super speeds. One time I got 30.mbps with just 2 bars of signal with Vodafone idea that too indoors during peak hours , only places like kottyam there work is not completed. Next u can get speeds with airtel but it lacks indoor coverage. The problem with jio is their higher fup more user base and all

It sounds harsh, but the tariff war has sort of damaged the demographics of internet usage as well. Jio brought in cheap data, which poses a threat to their own broadband service. And the fact remains that a layman wouldn’t really know about latency and all the advantages a wired service brings in. The only way out is by increasing wireless data prices, which is not far off, once the pandemic comes under control.

Back