Reliance Jio Fiber Review from Kerala

• Thread starter Thread starter Sammy
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 39
  • Views Views 7,619
Just got the connection installed about 2 weeks back and it was the longest process ever mostly due to the lockdown. My house was ~95m from their FDB and they were hesitant to give me a connection first because of the fiber usage on their end. After a little bit of back and forth, they were ready to provide me with the service and then another roadblock where they said that they have to wait for more fiber to arrive due to a shortage. Finally after about a month of waiting, I got a visit from the salesperson who finally registered my account and had the connection installed same day. Funny thing is after installation they had used about 160m of cable after all that fuss about 100m max :ROFLMAO:

Sales people and technicians are very friendly people who are ready to help if you call them directly with any queries. They also told me that in my locality there were literally only 5 active users and the new connections they are giving out in my city are under the radar because of an issue with the district PWD. The contractors they hired had just gone ahead and installed kms of cable and posts which racked them up with a whopping INR 3.5cr fine. So they're not really advertising their services until the dispute is resolved. Plus a lot of people have dropped their connections after they went from the preview offer to paid.

Speeds are pretty consistent throughout the day. International transit speeds sometimes take a slight hit during peak hours but not too often. All the tests done below were during peak hours-

jiotestmynet.webp
jiofast.webp
jiode.webp

jiolondon.webp

jiony.webp

jiosg.webp

Latency is also somewhat stable with decent times to most international servers. However, routing can be real stupid sometimes. From what I've observed, a lot of my traffic transits through Chennai > Jio Singapore and then to the destination. (If you guys want me to run an Open Visual TR to any specific IP's I can try)

I run NAT Type 2 on my PS4 and have open NAT on my PC and old Xb360. I get about 60ms ping on Warzone(SEA), 70ms on Overwatch(SEA) and 150-160ms on EU, 30-40ms on CSGO (Casuals, sorry I don't have Faceit), 260ms to OVH based FiveM servers in Toronto. Pings are pretty steady and I have had no issue with packet loss.

As usual, there's much to be desired from Jio. More FUP data, Public IPv4, bridge mode, etc. but compared to the ISP's I have around me, Jio is probably the only choice for now. Also they're the only ISP in Kerala to provide 1Gbps speeds.

Attachments

• jiode.webp
    jiode.webp
    11.8 KB · Views: 418
Latency cannot be improved from users end isn't it.latency spikes dont happen from users end .it generally happens when traffic flows out ISP s network. Only the higher end engineers can solve it also it's very cumbersome job finding the best route and all

@Crazyguy030601 until the next spectrum auction we cannot expect any speed improvements with jio or airtel.

@philip Airtel has the worst coverage in Kerala. I had to push for one of my co-workers to move from Airtel to Vodafone because I couldn't understand what they were saying more than half the time. Plans are alright and having rollover data is actually pretty great too.

@Crazyguy030601 Funny enough just yesterday I got a call from a Jio sales exec asking me if I want JioFiber. When I asked them on what basis they were contacting me, he had told me that they are targeting Jio customers who have high data usage on their sims. The bundling of OTT apps, landline and 100mbps net actually makes it pretty attractive with the Rs.199 combo plan and for Jio, they can reel in 199 a week rather than someone buying a long term data bundle for a couple hundred.

@Sammy Yeah airtel has the worst coverage especially indoor since they don't have any low frequency spectrum unlike band 5 for jio. But during outdoors and all speeds are far better than jio.jio has done some shitty modifications with their networks earlier I used to get 20 mhz of band 40 in most of the areas now only 10 mhz, thereby speeds have again taken a hit

@GRanger I don't know how reliable that website is. I feel like they're just pinging data centers for every region and just labeling/displaying it depending on the servers for the game. So I'll just share the pings to all playable locations.

fortnite.webp

aoex.webp

CS.webp

@philip Airtel has the worst coverage in Kerala. I had to push for one of my co-workers to move from Airtel to Vodafone because I couldn't understand what they were saying more than half the time. Plans are alright and having rollover data is actually pretty great too.

@Crazyguy030601 Funny enough just yesterday I got a call from a Jio sales exec asking me if I want JioFiber. When I asked them on what basis they were contacting me, he had told me that they are targeting Jio customers who have high data usage on their sims. The bundling of OTT apps, landline and 100mbps net actually makes it pretty attractive with the Rs.199 combo plan and for Jio, they can reel in 199 a week rather than someone buying a long term data bundle for a couple hundred.
I seriously hope broadband gets a push. I have been seeing many new broadband connections at my place of residence, which seems to he a good sign. Unsurprisingly, data speeds have surged a lot since then.

Back