Router recommendation for OpenWRT?

• Thread starter Thread starter raaron773
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 57
  • Views Views 5,606
ISP
idk
Hi,

I own an old TP-Link AC1200 gigabit router and it doesn't support OpenWRT. I am looking for a decent WiFi gigabit router under Rs.3000/- which supports latest stable OpenWRT.
Any recommendations ?
I have checked the forums and all I see is that TP-Link A6 and TP-Link C6 are the most recommended ones.
Can someone explain the difference between these two and if there's any new router in the market which offers better specs and has openwrt support? I would really appreciate it. Thank you!

Well I went ahead and ordered it for ₹25k flat shipping by Saturday from Bangalore.

Apparently there's no windows tax.

Will let you know how it works out after I receive it and play around.

Upvote 0
@vishalrao Did you try any sellers on Alibaba for the same product, was the cost around the same? Or just didn't want the hassle? :)

Upvote 0
Yeah exactly same device I saw on Alibaba but didn't want the risk or hassle.

Upvote 0
Cost is acceptable IMHO even if it comes totally barebones despite website says it has 8gb and 256gb nvme, mainly for the quad port 2.5gbe intel NIC.

Anyways I'll update here when, if I get the thing, likely some time next week.

Upvote 0
@MrGordon - Can you pls. help with the OpenWRT interface configuration you shared-
1. I’m able to ssh through CMD in the router
2. I do ls /etc/config, pulls up the filesystem
3. Now I do /etc/config/network says permission denied and cannot paste the code
4. Also if you look into my previous screenshots, my WAN6 interface gets a Public IPv6 and I’m also able to ping Google IP v6 address (not DNS) from SSH

Can you pls. help me with step by step instructions after I ssh [email protected] and logged in. There is something very wrong I’m doing.

Upvote 0
@Kauban To see the contents of the file, you can do cat /etc/config/network. To edit the file, you will need to do vi /etc/config/network and then align the config to what I shared earlier.

Upvote 0
@MrGordon - thanks and I’ll give a try.

Also as Jio mentioned in a press release that they have sliced a separate and dedicated bandwidth exclusively for FWA (AirFiber), my question is will ‘only’ Jio provided FWA’s ride on this bandwidth or 3rd party FWA(with Jio 5G SIM) can use it? I understand this network slice will be exclusive to FWA and service ‘probably’ would not be impacted due to the 5G mobile spectrum congestion.

Any thoughts, comrades?

Upvote 0

Just got delivered. Will play around tonight. Not sure where to start though lol. Probably openwrt first.

Upvote 0

Back