Router recommendation for OpenWRT?

• Thread starter Thread starter raaron773
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 57
  • Views Views 5,606
ISP
idk
Hi,

I own an old TP-Link AC1200 gigabit router and it doesn't support OpenWRT. I am looking for a decent WiFi gigabit router under Rs.3000/- which supports latest stable OpenWRT.
Any recommendations ?
I have checked the forums and all I see is that TP-Link A6 and TP-Link C6 are the most recommended ones.
Can someone explain the difference between these two and if there's any new router in the market which offers better specs and has openwrt support? I would really appreciate it. Thank you!

@Lolita_Magnum - This is what I get. OpenWRT >Jio 5G CPE delivering IPv6 only > Laptop

Source

Upvote 0
@Kauban Are you sure the CPE is in bridge mode? Cause it is receiving a IPv4 WAN IP address, I am guessing this is from the Huawei CPE, since its a private IP address.

If you ssh in, are you able to ping an IPv6 or IPv4 by IP address (not DNS name)? Also, could you try to align the configuration in /etc/config/network to what I shared in my earlier post? Once the changes are in you can either restart the network or maybe just restart the device.

Upvote 0
@MrGordon - Interestingly I am able to ping IPv6 Google IP address from the OpenWrt SSH > Jio 5G CPE and if you look into the interface screenshot my WAN has IPv6 but there is no internet on the LAN side. What could be the reason ? Do I need to configure something at my LAN side.

Source

Source

@Lolita_Magnum - I'll surely try your suggestions looks like I need to study Open WRT 101 book of commands as this is my first time :), was not successful in configuring through the code above. Offcourse, I am messing up something

Upvote 0
@Kauban Did you bridge the Lan and Wan in OpenWrt?

This is my working config with jio fiber router and mi 4a giga as dumb AP (802.11s) mesh

dhcpd and dnsmasq is disabled on openwrt.

config interface 'loopback'
option device 'lo'
option proto 'static'
option ipaddr '127.0.0.1'
option netmask '255.0.0.0'

config globals 'globals'
option packet_steering '1'

config device
option name 'br-lan'
option type 'bridge'
list ports 'lan1'
list ports 'lan2'
list ports 'wan'
option stp '1'
option multicast '0'
option ip6segmentrouting '1'

config interface 'lan'
option device 'br-lan'
option proto 'static'
option netmask '255.255.255.0'
option ipaddr '10.0.0.10'
option gateway '10.0.0.1'
list dns '10.0.0.75'
list dns '140.x.x.x'
list dns '140.x.x.x'

config interface 'lan6'
option proto 'dhcpv6'
option device 'br-lan'
option reqaddress 'try'
option reqprefix 'auto'

Upvote 0
@Notorious - My set up is Jio Fiber (primary wan) / Huawei 5G Jio Fiber CPE (Failover) >> UDM Pro > Switch > Access Points.

My only problem is with Huawei 5G CPE >> UDM Pro it does not get a IP as Jio 5G is IP6 only and UDM had some issues with IP6. So I put a OpenWRT (Mi 4a gigabit) between the CPE & Laptop (to be replaced with UDM Pro), Open WRT WAN had ip6 but the LAN does not have a ip4 / 6. XLAT464 package is also installed as suggested with @MrGordon

Upvote 0
@MrGordon - Thanks fort replying, I can confirm that Huawei router Bridge mode is enabled from the UI. If you look into my screenshot from last Friday, the OpenWRT WAN get an IPv6 and I can ssh into the the Open WRT and ping the Google IPv6 address.

However, my LAN out does not get any internet and this is something I need help. My apologies, I'm a newbie in OpenWRT and if possible can you help me outline the steps in details to configure my LAN. 464XLAT package is installed and I can see a virtual interface (refer screenshot from Friday)

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Back