Samsung Galaxy S III

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 1,179
  • Views Views 82,264
Kitkat (4.4) is scheduled to arrive for sgs3 in late April's. Would be last the update I guess.

i hope s3 will get 2-3 more updates !! its better than s4 aand s5.

KitKat update for s3 has been cancelled according to sammobile.

http://www.sammobile.com/2014/05/08/samsung-officially-confirms-no-kitkat-for-galaxy-s-iii-gt-i9300-and-galaxy-s-iii-mini/

Official statement from Samsung UK
“In order to facilitate an effective upgrade on the Google platform, various hardware performances such as the memory (RAM, ROM, etc.), multi-tasking capabilities, and display must meet certain technical expectations. The Galaxy S3 and S3 mini 3G versions come equipped with 1GB RAM, which does not allow them to effectively support the platform upgrade. As a result of the Galaxy S3 and S3 mini 3G versions’ hardware limitation, they cannot effectively support the platform upgrade while continuing to provide the best consumer experience. Samsung has decided not to roll-out the KitKat upgrade to Galaxy S3 and S3 mini 3G versions, and the KitKat upgrade will be available to the Galaxy S3 LTE version as the device’s 2GB RAM is enough to support the platform upgrade.” – Samsung Mobile UK

Since it is becoming more and more evident that Samsung is not interested enough to upgrade the S3 to 4.4.2. Folks at XDA have taken things in their hands and collaborated to port 4.4.2 from Note to the S3 - Note2 KK port
And thanks to their hardwork within 2 days we have 90% working test build rom (though not recommended for daily use). So there is still hope that finally S3 users will be able to taste some 4.4.2 goodness in case Samsung offically drops the ball.
Here is the link to the deidicated rom development thread for those interested in following up - Galaxy S3 - 4.4.2 port Stock Sammy WIP
Working:
- Wi-Fi
- 3G
- SMSes / MMSes
- Camera
- Lockscreen effects
- Most of the apps and functions
- Android 4.4.2
Semi-Working:
- Calls (Ending call is buggy, RIL-based stuff)
Not working:
- Sensors (rotate, proximity?)
- More to find

But wouldn't that make the phone laggy? I think porting a firmware intended for 2GB RAM based device to S3 wouldn't be a good idea.

Experience reported by user so far has mostly been better than 4.3. Also the kernel used in the ROM is a hybrid kernel modified to work on the S3 so I guess that takes care of the ram allocation. I'm gonna give it a try in a day or two as bugs are being reported and worked upon.

Back