Seagate International Warranty

• Thread starter Thread starter manu1991
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 7
  • Views Views 8,501
I have always thought warranties on hard disks were connected to their serial numbers. No invoices were necessary.

Yes. but some companies limit warranties to certain regions. and from the serial number, they know the country of sale. WD for example, gives you warranty in India only if you purchased the drive in India or Malaysia or Singapore or Thailand

Both are true. No invoice needed. And serial number anyways clarifies the region details to manufacturer, whose web form verifies against its database.
Off the top of my head, what I do know is that Seagate external drives (or their "shucked" out internal HDD) from Amazon US were not offered warranty at Bangalore in January 2013 for a friend.
Hardware vendors I speak to for "proper" internal drives, speak in whispers about "grey imports" of Seagate HDDs and tell me those may cost a bit less but won't get warranty in India.

thanks. I was interested in buying an external one only. The 4TB one was about ~2.5k cheaper on Amazon. I actually ended up placing the order, but an hour later got a payment declined message from Amazon (the card is not activated or something), will check with Seagate.

I had a 1.5 TB drive that was bought from us. It had to be sent back for repair to Us.

Manu said:
thanks. I was interested in buying an external one only. The 4TB one was about ~2.5k cheaper on Amazon. I actually ended up placing the order, but an hour later got a payment declined message from Amazon (the card is not activated or something), will check with Seagate.
Yeah, i know the one you're looking at. It was actually at $149.99 in January (versus 179 now) and in hindsight, the Rupee fall has made it an even sweeter purchase for those who got it.
But considering the price is much higher now, I would not suggest importing it. Instead, wait for Flipkart's 10% flat-discount on electronics days; or use a coupon code on eBay India (or GEB).

Back