Should TRAI set minimum speeds for 2G/EDGE/3G/4G?

• Thread starter Thread starter India_King
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 39
  • Views Views 8,027
Just wondering, has TRAI set any minimum speed for 3G & 4G networks in India?

I read that TRAI was recommending to set 1 Mbps as minimum 3G speed. Was that decision finalized?

In Sri Lanka, Telecom operators must provide minimum 30% of their advertised 3G speed. That means, if company advertises 7.2 Mbps as its 3G speed. then it must provide at least 2.4 Mbps to its customers.

Is there minimum 4G speed standards set by TRAI in India? Our Govt is always sleeping. So its good time to raise these issues.

Trai to soon fix minimum internet speed for mobiles - The Times of India

TRAI wants to set minimum speed of 1Mbps for 3G and 56Kbps for 2G connections - MediaNama

TRAI has no balls.

Airtel advertises its 3G speed at 7.2 Mbps. But i only get 300 Kbps at my home.

TRAI should at least make 30% of advertised speed as the minimum speed. That way i will be bound to get 2.4 Mbps on my Airtel 3G SIM.

even usa did not apply network neutrality laws over mobile internet services. for the obvious reasons. no operator can ensure perfect coverage throughout the city/state/country. you just cannot expect to get coverage if you go down to the third basement of a mall because it is just not technically feasible to cover every inch of the serviced area. similarly, mobile operators cannot boost network coverage on demand in congested areas. with wired internet they have the control from their backend and the service area is restricted to the places where they have supplied the connection to.

I live in one of the "openest" areas in Delhi. Yet i get no 3G. My brother lives in tight quarters. Yet he gets higher speed than mine (still far below actual 3G speed).

that's what you get with wireless connectivity.

airtel is looking for feedback about poor connectivity areas. you should contribute.

Help us find a mobile site

Already did.

I hope they will install Tower nearby. Anyway, they still need to make their Data plans affordable.

There's one thing I don't get. When minimum speeds are enforced, is it on the access technology or simply on the commercial name of the product? Like if someone markets their internet service as broadband they need to ensure x amount of speed.

it appears to be a last ditch attempt to get operators to do something about the crappy plans they offer to customers. lack of competition means that market conditions are not changing anything (at least in most parts of the country). defining broadband at least push these operators to at least meet the bare minimum. otherwise they would still be selling plans with 64kbps speeds (as they do on cellular network).

But, what's to stop Airtel from using the term airtel 'internet' instead of airtel 'broadband'?

I mean if you define 2mbps minimum on ADSL, then that's a different thing.

Back