Slow wifi performance with Nokia G2425G-A gpon. Please discuss Airtel routers

• Thread starter Thread starter r19
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 26
  • Views Views 38,498

r19

ISP
Airtel
I have gotten a 100mbps connection installed and Airtel has given a Nokia G2425G-A router. I had wanted to get 40mbps but theres no free installation plan on that. I'm not getting getting good speed and signal on wifi, and I'm not much familiar with wifi setup. On my Moto g4 I'm getting around -64dbm in my room with occasionally lowest at -72dbm. I get around 10-20mbps with my D-Link dir-615 router on bridge which seems to support 300mbps and shows 100% signal. However even near the Nokia router I'm getting max 25mbps on the Dlink, but I do get 40mbps on my G4 and 70mbps on a laptop. Maybe its because the D-Link is an older T1 model from 2012. Also The speed from Nokia router halves if I run two devices together. In the other room that's on another side, I get -50 to -60dbm on 2.4ghz and around -60dbm on 5ghz, so here its ok.
Will I get better signal with a proper router connected to the Nokia? I'm not sure since both would have same power antennas, and the Dlink and Nokia seem to give similar signal.
How much change in signal and speed are you seeing if you have added a good router using Nokia only as modem?
Can low speed in 2.4 ghz be due to the model? I think it should give max 300mbps. Are there better routers from Airtel?
Is it normal that connection speed is halving when I'm using two devices in 2.4ghz? I tried two devices in my room where there is low signal

Currently I'm thinking of shifting the Nokia router to my PC and using Dlink as extender for the other room where as much speed isn't required but would like to know more. Also kind of think could have waited for better plans from ACT or just gotten it. They seem to give Tenda AC 1200 Router free on 3mo plan. Also they might give offer on their Android box which is good quality and doesn't require cable connection

At least here who has tested both a Nokia router and a proper router? Or comment on its 2.4ghz speeds

Okay, I don't have the Nokia ONT. I have a Huawei one, which had poor range but was a good modem. The range became extremely poor recently and it started throwing devices off the network, so I got my own router.

If you're getting good speeds over LAN, maybe you should contact Airtel and see if they can replace the modem. The ISP provided ONT + router combos are almost never good.

Strangely it seems the 802.11n mode doesn't work on some devices like my Dir 615 and another cell phone which supports it. But it works on some other mobiles. Tried by setting that mode in router page. Maybe I should inform Airtel

For the solution, I'm thinking of connecting with lan cable

Okay just got ~18mbps on a YT vid, checked on fast.com and google fiber test and got 28mbps in both. While still getting 5-8mbps on Speedtest.net. seems Airtel some shady stuff

Which server on speedtest.net? Such discrepancies seem strange, considering you’re on FTTH?

Also, does this vary throughout the day?

I'm getting ~70mbps on my laptop on 2.4ghz band. 30-40mbps near and 20-30 mbps away would be acceptable which is what I'm getting on Moto G4.

Which server on speedtest.net? Such discrepancies seem strange, considering you’re on FTTH?

Also, does this vary throughout the day?
I've tried with multiple servers on speedtest even Airtels own. Speed was 10-20mbps few days ago on D-Link router but has now come down to 3-6 mbps. Moto G4 still is getting sufficient speeds. Also Google fiber test seems to be from foreign server. Test from google drive gives low speed too though. I can't play anything above 2k30fps video on YT, though that is loading quite far ahead. Its possible theres some issue with Google or fast.com servers which is showing high speeds on these

Okay, if possible, try doing the speed tests over LAN, if not done already. In case speeds are good on LAN, I suppose Airtel would replace the ONT.

Just to be sure, how are you connecting the D-Link router to the Nokia ONT?

I'm trying to get a direct cable installed to the router from my PC today. Currently connecting the router using 'wireless repeater' mode while it is placed near my computer.

Also yesterday there was an outage for 6 hrs which got fixed in night. There were rains but not before outage started. Speed on router has gotten lower since then. My connection got installed from another building 1 house away which had it, after their salesperson promised me fiber and their installation person came to install ADSL. I think Airtel is trying to have as much control as they can as JIO given how much directly they control router. Even their 'UL' may later speed shape

Back