Smartphone under Rs. 10,000

Sushubh

Admin
Staff member
ISP
Excitel
Airtel
I guess Lenovo K3 Note is the best phone in this segment right now? I also plan to recommend Moto G2 and OnePlus X in case the person can spend more. Any phone I might be missing? Mi4i?

I guess Lenovo K3 Note is the best phone in this segment right now? I also plan to recommend Moto G2 and OnePlus X in case the person can spend more. Any phone I might be missing? Mi4i?

Why not Asus Zenfone 2 for 9,999 (ZE550KL version). It has superb Zen UI.

I am using a Asus Zenfone A450CG (same as Zenfone C but whereas the C has 5 MP rear the 450 has 8 MP rear)

I have used Lenovo A6000 and Redmi 1S in past and overall Asus is best though in sheer camera performance Redmi is better.

edit add -- link amended to show the newer ZE550KL model available on Flip-kart for 10k and not the older ZE550ML model it showed before. 550KL comes with Snapdragon and 550ML was with Intel (both with 267 ppi screen). The 551ML comes with 401 ppi screen costs 14k. Three versions of Zenfone 2 in 2015.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Asus phones come with like 50 Asus branded apps. I would not recommend it to anyone.

Yes it does come with stuff like Omlet Chat and Splendid, but I have 1 GB RAM and it leaves 450 MB free. In 2 GB RAM it will leave about 1.4 GB free. You can run Windows 7 on 1.4 GB free RAM. If there are extra apps (say 6 not 50) don't open them and they will not clog up the RAM.

But on plus side Asus gives things like 7 different scroll effects and the screen is really nice. Mine is 218 ppi but I swear it is almost same as the 312 ppi Redmi 1S had in clarity (must be better CPU, GPU from Intel and PowerVR)

About Moto G -- if the Moto G is like Moto E then it will have no native file manager and no file manager from Google app can replace a native file manager. I have used a Moto G but do not remember if it had native file manager.

Upvote 0
I guess it's nice that Asus has found some fans in India. Uber drivers use Asus devices and the GPS on their phones is completely messed up. They also keep on complaining about poor battery life and such. I cannot recommend a device with Intel processor in any case to a friend. :)

Upvote 0
I guess it's nice that Asus has found some fans in India. Uber drivers use Asus devices and the GPS on their phones is completely messed up. They also keep on complaining about poor battery life and such. I cannot recommend a device with Intel processor in any case to a friend. :)

Well it is horses for courses -- in my case I do not want to show people I am using a "Chinese" cell phone. It gets no respect.

Intel Inside logo on a smart Asus backcover at least arouses some curiosity. I do not see how a Mediatek chipset in Lenovo is better than Asus' Intel in brand value.

Asus 450 has poor battery life due to 1,750 mah battery but the Asus 2 has 3,000 mah battery. Low end Lenovos like A6000 are same as my A450 in battery use. GPS performs fantastic as far as my phone goes.

edit add -- the newer Zenfone 2 (ZE550KL) has Snapdragon 410 chipset and not Intel.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Same problem man. I cannot recommend a phone from a lesser known company. Lenovo and Xiaomi might be 'chinese' but they have made a name for themselves in India :)

Upvote 0
Really depends on the person buying, if he will be satisfied with brand 'x' best to recommend a model with the brand.

Upvote 0
Slightly off topic .. I will just like to post my process of buying .. it has never let me down since touchscreen app driven phones came out and can work from a budget as low as 5k to as high as 50k (deciding between a Xperia Z5 and iPhone 6 at budget of 45,000 is as hard as deciding between a Lenovo K3 and Mi4i)

1 ) Decide what is max price possible (keeping in mind your final choice maybe 20% over max price. Let us say my budget is 6K, I must be prepared to pay about 7.2k)

2 ) Decide what is the use - is it gaming, calling, primary internet device, camera, overall performance.

3 ) Decide OS. Some (like me) are happy with KK 4.4. Some will want L 5.1 out of the box. Some will want best and fastest upgrade to new OS (if this be a criteria then Redmi will take more than a year, if ever, to upgrade. Just an example -- not meant to upset Redmi fans)

3 ) Based on above, decide specs in detail. If camera is not your primary purpose but calling and good looks, do not waste time trying to think if 10 MP phone will be better buy than 5 MP or reject a phone just because front camera is 1 MP. Focus on the need. If gaming is your main concern focus on benchmarks, gyro and not looks. Your final spec sheet should be very specific of what you want and do not want and while specific your spec sheet should be open to reasonable alteration.

4 ) Decide brand

5 ) Decide model

6 ) Purchase

7 ) Lastly forget about service centers. You only need service centers to buy OEM battery. Unless you can afford to throw it away, do not buy should be the motto for buying cell phones. Your cell phone budget should always be what you can throw away and not blink.

If it seems like "gyaan" awfully sorry folks. But this flow chart has made me the go-to guy for buying cell phones for about 25 people in last 4 years (not to speak of my own eight or nine sub 9k phones from 2009 all of which have been tremendous value for money purchases and sold well on second hand market.)

Last edited:
Reactions: SVK
Upvote 0

Back