Suggest a suitable wifi router

Thanks guys. Really helpful information.I am willing to spend around 2000 and would prefer a 802.11 b/g/n for more range. I will look forward for the one suggested "Netgear Wireless-N 150 Router" - but any more suggestion?

After i got my phone many of u guys suggested me to have Wireless access somewhere, or use 3G to make a proper use of my phone. So i have finally decided to connect my Reliance Wiredline with a Wireless Router....I m totally clueless as to what shud be considered in buying a Wireless router. Any sort of inputs will help me a lot!Thanks in Advance.

Budget? If you want something cheap, get the Buffalo Airstation N150 ~ Rs1,250. Upto 150 mbps speeds. Good Range. Its more than enough for normal home usage unless you want to stream HD movies and stuff.

Errm, thats a thing not decided yet! I m actually waiting to see that what price i wud be required to pay for things like Good coverage, good performance....reputation of the company.....based on that i wud decide what i can shell out.

I dont want a really high end stuff, but a decent mid range stuff.

----------

Ok, as regards my usage is concerned......i just want to use it for downloading/uploading from my cell. That of course wont be too heavy duty. Just that i wud utilise the bandwidth available with me on my Home internet line, which is lying completely idle these days.

Ok, and one more thing.......what wud be its range? i wud prefer to have a range of 30 odd feet, as theres another Android phone in home, whose contacts are to be backed up.....no apps and all, but occasional backup from Phone to Google account.

For wireless router ask these questions

Q: What speed is required?
1. 54 Mbps Wireless G or 150 Mbps Wireless N @ 2.4 Ghz frequency
2. 300 Mbps Wireless N or 450 Mbps Wireless N) @ 5 Ghz frequency (Cost is almost double that of wireless G or N150 routers)

Q: Are gigabit ports required?
1. Maximum port speed is equal to the slowest component in the network.
2. If your laptop has only 100 Mbps LAN speed, then gigabit router is useless.

Q: Does all the wireless equipment support the Wifi N standard?
1. If not, then it makes sense to go for Wireless G router only.

Q: Do I need better cabling?
If using Gigabit router, minimum requirement is Cat5e cable and best investment is Cat6 cable.

Q: What speeds should I expect on wireless networks?
1. 54 Mbps G and 150 Mbps N -> 2 to 7 MBps transfer speed
2. 300-450 Mbps N -> 3 to 12 MBps transfer speed

Q: Do you want to install custom firmware like DD-WRT?
Go here and check if the model you want to buy has custom firmware installation support.
(Custom firmwares may enhance the functionality of your router but they void the warranty and can brick your router)

I suggest 3 routers:

Entry level:
Belkin N150
Rs: 2000 - Rs 3000

My favorite:
Asus RT-N56U
Cost me Rs. 7500 in Mumbai

High end (If looks matter)
Cisco-Linksys E4200
Costs: Rs. 11000 - Rs. 12000 in Mumbai

Back