Suggest best router for home- normal as well as larger range

• Thread starter Thread starter vitrag24
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 31
  • Views Views 5,983
Which range extender? I ordered TP-Link from Amazon and on 2.4GHz with Range Extender I only got 2Mbps

PS: 2.4GHz max out on 20Mbps at my place and only 5GHz enable me to use my internet connection optimally (50Mbps)

I have the basic Netgear model. Does not support AC. But it seems to have worked fine for me. I get decent speeds when I am connected to my primary connection through the extender.

Why would you suggest a 3 Pack of Unifi's that too the earlier Wireless N ones??
One AP AC Pro/LR will be more than enough for him and much cheaper. For gods sake dont just post links for the sake of posting, please.

Edit: Amazon link for AC PRO, i'm sure you'll be able to find the LR if you scour around too (the one i saw listed was from an international seller, you'll get it cheaper from a local reseller)

Last edited:
Depends on your requirements, obviously. I have a 1300 SqFt 2bhk and a well placed AP AC Lite is giving me more than enough coverage, and is stable enough so that interference from around 10 networks that my devices pick up (damn them neighbours!!) isnt an issue.

Firstly you'll have to decide where to put your access points. Then, you'll need to stick to your old modem/router (My clunky dabba given by tata broadband works as a router/modem, ive disabled the wifi radio)

Any AP AC would do well, an LR gives you longer distance but its radios give it a more "donut shaped" coverage pattern, away from the AP itself.
The PRO has more antennas. and the LR is the entry level of the three, but still above and beyond your consumer/prosumer routers.

You need to remember though, there is no "AP" interface, all the configuration to the AP is done via a controller that has to be installed either on a PC or a Mobile Device. So people even "somewhat" experienced with networking might get lost if suddenly your AP drops out and you need to SSH a firmware on it (not that it happens often, or at all.. in my experience)

2880 square feet house I think. Basement, Ground Floor and First Floor. Since I have a corner house, I have access to the complete side of the house. I would prefer to install something on the ground floor that should cover it completely in addition to hopefully first floor and basement as well.

You might have to get a couple or more AC pros then. You'll have to do research on what you need, if you can run lan from your router to all your floors so you can install an AP properly. Either research and DIY (UBNT Community, or r/HomeNetworking and r/Ubiquiti) can guide you.

Where does your internet connection come in? Ground floor im guessing. A single AP on the ceiling might not give you coverage above it too well, you might have to install another one. If thats the case, i'd run a second lan cable to the AP to the 1st floor room too. There is an option to run in as a "repeater" in isolation mode but then deploying firmware updates gets a little trickier. Pinging @bhojv74, he might help you further with this.

But from what little info you've given, 2 APs (Pro or LR or a combination of both) should be good for you. But 2 APs mean ideally you'd need a computer (perhaps a NAS/download rig) to run the Controller so you can monitor/update them properly.

It needs the controller if you want to push changes, or monitor things. Otherwise how I use it (my controller is on my macbook that goes with me to work everyday) is i just get the laptop home when there are firmware upgrades, hah

that's not a big deal. i use a regular computer. desktop computer. and then i have a pi that runs pretty much 24x7. wifi at home is pretty much set right now. i just have a mi router in the basement and an extender on the ground floor. first floor is not covered much but it was not a priority until now. i was just wondering if i could get an estimate on how i can make it a proper mesh network so that devices do not lose internet when they switch from one network to another.

Back