Suggest best router for home- normal as well as larger range

• Thread starter Thread starter vitrag24
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 31
  • Views Views 5,983
Can I not create a mesh network by adding several routers with same SSID and same credentials?
i am doing this at home and this is not a seamless experience. connectivity still drops for a few seconds as the mobile switches from one router to another. mesh devices are seamless from my understanding.

@bhojv74
Thanks a lot for being patient an answering all my stupid questions, I have some more questions and I will post them in night. I will appreciate if you (or anyone else) can help me with them.

@Sushubh
Delay in handover makes sense and should be the case unless AP supports 802.11r

IEEE 802.11r specifies fast Basic Service Set (BSS) transitions between access points by redefining the security key negotiation protocol, allowing both the negotiation and requests for wireless resources (similar to RSVP but defined in 802.11e) to occur in parallel.

The key negotiation protocol in 802.11i specifies that, for 802.1X-based authentication, the client is required to renegotiate its key with the RADIUS or other authentication server supporting Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP) on every handoff, a time consuming process. The solution is to allow for the part of the key derived from the server to be cached in the wireless network, so that a reasonable number of future connections can be based on the cached key, avoiding the 802.1X process. A feature known as Opportunistic Key Caching exists today, based on 802.11i, to perform the same task. 802.11r differs from OKC by fully specifying the key hierarchy.

Apparently even Unifi does not support this spec and the following has been mentioned
For most internet applications (i.e. web-browsing), mobile activity would be seamless. For VoIP, observable delays may be noticed.
UniFi - What is Zero-Handoff?

I have not yet understood how it works but they require you to make sure that all APs are on same wifi band. Can you please test that?

Back