Suggest me a good brand for external hard drive

• Thread starter Thread starter techtata
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44
  • Views Views 4,578
there have been enough studies that have proven that good quality ssds can outlast traditional hard disks easily. since there are no mechanical parts, failure rate is lower on SSDs.

go with IOMEGA eGo drives ... Drop Guard256 AES Hardware encryption1 year trend micro internet sec. free + Iomega suite3 years warrantylight weight

I learned that SSD do have a lifetime. Even they are not that reliable.
Here is a SSD which is comparably cheap: Seagate Momentus XT 500GB 7200 RPM SATA SSD Hard Drive 500GB 3Gb/s 32 MB Cache | eBay

I might require atleast a 200GB SSD to store my docs and files.

That is just a 500gb sata hdd with a 4gb ssd nand partition. So the ssd part is only 4gb. A 512gb ssd would cost ~25-30k.

Imo doesnt make sense to buy a ssd for backup purposes.

That is just a 500gb sata hdd with a 4gb ssd nand partition. So the ssd part is only 4gb. A 512gb ssd would cost ~25-30k.

So it's 4GB+512GB hard disk, where there's a provision that helps to load certain files in 4GB partition. Is this right?
Imo doesnt make sense to buy a ssd for backup purposes.
SSDs are better than normal HDDs. It's comparatively better to store stuffs in SSD, so it does make some sense. What makes you feel that?

buy a hybrid drive with decent amount of ssd storage space. i think there are drives available at reasonable prices with 32GB ssd storage. the drives are smart enough to put the frequently accessed data in the ssd storage. it is done automatically. you do not see two partitions from what i know. these are great drives to run as the primary disk with OS as OS would boot from the SSD partition improving the speed and performance.there is no point of buying ssd for backup purposes as the data is not accessed frequently so you do not gain anything.

there is no point of buying ssd for backup purposes as the data is not accessed frequently so you do not gain anything.

But with it, i can store the data in a better place. SSDs are more reliable.

seriously? trust in the murphy's law. shit happens. do not invest in a ssd just to use it as a backup drive expecting it to last longer than traditional drives. hard disks (regular and ssds) can and would go bad at unexpected times. never trust them no matter how new or old they are. personally, i would trust cloud computing more than the local storage at my own place. because online services (at least popular ones like google and Dropbox) would have multiple levels of redundancy that is impossible for a home user to recreate.

But with it, i can store the data in a better place. SSDs are more reliable.
Is the increase in reliability more than the increase in cost.

At the moment, a 512GB SSD is 6-7x the price of a 500GB HDD. In any case, reliability of an SSD cannot be 200% of that of an HDD. So for much cheaper, you can buy 2 HDDs and backup your data twice.

@ TopicPersonally i had a horrible time with Seagate and will stay a mile away from it.I have a Transcend external HDD for a yr, So far so Good.

Back