Suggestion on DSLR Camera? Nikon vs Canon

• Thread starter Thread starter Jonas
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 33
  • Views Views 3,948
I have used a nikon d90 and canon 550D ... Of the 2 Nikon is expensive and has a much better built quality than the canon... And it has more buttons so it is easy to navigate through the settings swiftly..Do you want the camera just for stills or video as well...Never buy the kit lens... For better results my some other lens as per the budget.. a 50mm 1.8 or something..

I have two options right now;Nikon D5100 or Canon EOS 550DI found that Nikon is heavy and built quality is better and yeah the swivel screen. Canon is a bit compact and light weighted.Both cameras are coming with 18-55mm kit lens.

I assume both are available without the kit lens.. If not sell it and buy the 50mm 1.8 .. Go for canon if budget is a constraint else nikon..

Yeah, I am tending towards Nikon.

Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Lens (Standard Lens) is for Rs. 6101 online flipkart

Is that gonna be good?

Both Brands are equally good, I would suggest, physically handle the camera and buy the one that you feel more comfortable with. What matters most is how you handle the camera, how it feels in your hand and are you comfortable using all the controls , are the controls/ buttons within easy reach and finally Which one grips better in your hand. DSLRs, be it Cannon or Nikon will give you exceptional picture. I have been personally using Cannon from past few years, but i just bought my Dad a Nikon D5100 and i love the how i can grip it in my hand for a shake free picture. The real question is which lenses are you going to buy to complete your kit. Best of luck.

I have heard from a photographer friend that Canon D550 is more user friendly for Entry level users of DSLR camera.

It actually is, being a noob I had less hard of a time handling it :DI might get the camera from nearest Croma, as I tried both cameras there to begin with.Just not sure if they offer the camera body without the kit lens.I think I should rather use the kit lens as being a noob, I won't realize the difference much and later upgrading it..

Trust me you will regret the kit lens.. Go for the other lens. Kit lenses are next to garbage..The other lens is faster so better performance in low light. The trade off is slower focusing and lack of zoom.Canon might see a price drop. Coz of rebel t4i...I dont know abt the availability though..

Well Anuj i would not call kit lens garbage, but i do understand that there are better ones available, but them again OP said in his first post that he has a budget so i would recommend that he use his kit lens but definitely keep a look out for good lens for his future use, I am sure as time pass's by and the more experience he gain with his DSLR he will look for better faster low noise lens. :) ( i still use my 3 yr old EFS 18-55 sometimes and it gets the work done with easy and i know it is a pretty low end lens by todays standards. ) Trust me you will regret the kit lens.. Go for the other lens. Kit lenses are next to garbage..

The other lens is faster so better performance in low light. The trade off is slower focusing and lack of zoom.

Canon might see a price drop. Coz of rebel t4i...I dont know abt the availability though..

Back