Suggestion on DSLR Camera? Nikon vs Canon

• Thread starter Thread starter Jonas
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 33
  • Views Views 3,948
Hi Samuel

I agree, start a new thread :)

Here is my take on your last post:

Bokeh type shooting: "Bokeh" is a Japanese word, it means out of focus or blurry region, which is supposed to be the background. If you are using any lens with limited depth of field the background will be out of focus- you get your bokeh. How much bokeh will you get will depend on the type of lens and aperture used. At large f-stop (like 1.8, 2.8 etc) you will get a pleasing bokeh, again with large focal length lenses even at f4 or f5.6, you will get pretty shallow depth of field (DoF). The quality of bokeh depends on the quality of lens, that is another of the reasons why cheap lenses should always be avoided. Your 18-55 provides a very good bokeh wide open.

With a moving subject you can do two things mainly, either to freeze or to blur. if your equipment is not allowing you to freeze (as it seems from your post), why not try the blur? Blurred image exposed properly shows motion.
Btw, regarding your exact photo situation, I can only suggest if you could share more precise info, like subject, shooting condition (time of the day, indoor/outdoor etc). Your pop up flash of camera is a pretty powerful tool once you learn how to use it effectively. Don't denounce it right now. :)

Finally, what you are using is a highly technical product so requires some time to master. So do not get disheartened, go out, shoot, shoot and shoot. :)

Thanks for the suggestion, I was thinking the same. Get multiple Cards instead of investing on just one with more capacity.

I am more into bokeh type of shooting and capturing movements of people in their spontaneous movement. Just like that of a 3 year old?

Actually, am facing challenge here, I try to increase the shutter speed to keep up with fast moving objects and I fail with blurry images.

Or under exposed images, the ? symbol glows, that says to decrease the shutter speed as there is not enough light.

I know that it means light is not proper, I tried to change ISO settings but, not much of a difference.

It stops blinking if I enable flash, but default flash is not that great or should I say, doesn't contribute much.

I really want to learn how to freeze the subject :)

I guess, I should start a new thread on photography.

@Samuel:Yes, freezing motion in low light is always a big challenge.And until and unless you are shooting outdoors it becomes very difficult to freeze motion.If you still have money to invest buy an external flash or a prime lens with better bokeh and low light performance.And yes, go ahead and start a thread on photography!@ Src2206 You have got some amzaing photos on your flickr profile.What's your gear?

Thanks for the suggestion, I was thinking the same. Get multiple Cards instead of investing on just one with more capacity.

I am more into bokeh type of shooting and capturing movements of people in their spontaneous movement. Just like that of a 3 year old?

Actually, am facing challenge here, I try to increase the shutter speed to keep up with fast moving objects and I fail with blurry images.

Or under exposed images, the ? symbol glows, that says to decrease the shutter speed as there is not enough light.

I know that it means light is not proper, I tried to change ISO settings but, not much of a difference.

It stops blinking if I enable flash, but default flash is not that great or should I say, doesn't contribute much.

I really want to learn how to freeze the subject :)

I guess, I should start a new thread on photography.

You need to read your camera manual, some books on photography or download magic lantern/karl taylor dvd guides on basics of photography.. There are dvd guides for camera models as well...
Ofcourse you can learn it all by yourself also but things would become systematic if you watch these video tutorials..
And then depending on your interests (macro/portraits/landscapes) etc you can choose your next lens and learn more from books and these video guides as per your interest..

I hope you bought a UV filter for the lens...
Buy closeup filters as well..

@ Src2206 You have got some amzaing photos on your flickr profile.

What's your gear?

Thank for your appreciation. Though I belong to old school of photography who are staunch believers of the fact that the gears do not make a photograph, still I can't really say that a quality gear does not matter ;)
So here what I presently use: Nikon D90, AF-S 300 f4 IF ED, Tamron SP AF 90mm f2.8 Macro, AF-S 18-55mm G VR, thoug in my flicker page, most of the long shots are taken with AF-S 70-300 f4.5/5.6 IF ED VRII lens, which I have sold to finance the macro one.

@Samuel

Not sure if you have started a new thread already, still, do not buy cheap UV filters which are nothing but worthless piece of glass and will degrade the critical sharpness of your photograph apart from introducing other problems to your photo.
Close Up filters from Hoya will cost you nearly 5k, but imho, as you are new entrant in the field of photography, explore the close-up capacity of your present kit lens to the fullest before investing in anything else.

Back