Suggestion on DSLR Camera? Nikon vs Canon

• Thread starter Thread starter Jonas
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 33
  • Views Views 3,948
Don't spend too much on body if you have a limited budget. Go for a better lens instead.

You can buy Nikon D3200 with kit lens + Nikkor 50mm AF lens 1.8 for around 42k.

I think I should rather use the kit lens as being a noob, I won't realize the difference much and later upgrading it..

You will realize the difference very early, once you see what images your camera can take with a better lens.
Check out sample images on flickr and see the EXIF data to get the lens information.

Kit lens will limit your photographing abilities.

But it will definitely help you to learn the basics of it.

From you budget and your purpose, I would suggest the following:
1. Nikon D3200, none other company offers so much feature rich entry level model.
2. Nikon 18-55VR kit lens will do perfectly well for general photographic requirements. Still, if you can manage to get something out of the seller, exchange 18-5VR with 18-105VR lens after paying the difference
3. Nikon AF-S 70-300 f4.5/5.6 IF-ED VR lens for your short telephoto to moderate telephoto needs. This is an exceptional lens for the price and you can do landscape to general wildlife with this lens and can get exceptionally good result. Remember this is a Fx (full Frame) lens so it will work as a 105-420mm lens.
4. If you can manage few more extra bucks buy a good quality tripod with ball head, you shall not regret the decision later. You can try brands like Vanguard, Manfretto etc.

If you look at the option 2 and 3 closely, you will see that this setup covers a amazing focal length range of 18mm to 420mm, more than anything you shall need for serious amateur photography. Later as you grow as a photographer you can easily upgrade to prime lenses which are much costlier, and imho rather overkill for general photographic situation (though there is no doubt that primes offer better quality than standard consumer zoom lenses).
One word of caution, please do not fall in trap of buying el cheapo consumer zoom lenses of Sigma 70-300 or Nikkor 70-300G (non AF-S version) lenses, you shall regret the decision later.

You can see some photos I have taken with the above lenses here: Flickr: Shutter Shooter's Photostream

Hope this helps :)

Awesome pics you have in there :)I have purchased D5100 and yeah the Kit lens, had no other choice actually.Would start getting lenses once I understand the basics of shooting and understanding to operate it would be task in itself right now.Right now I need a good bag to carry the camera as the default one is like a tipin to carry food....and an institute that teaches photography, just not at the cost of ones arm and leg.

Awesome pics you have in there :)

I have purchased D5100 and yeah the Kit lens, had no other choice actually.

Would start getting lenses once I understand the basics of shooting and understanding to operate it would be task in itself right now.

Right now I need a good bag to carry the camera as the default one is like a tipin to carry food.

...and an institute that teaches photography, just not at the cost of ones arm and leg.

Thank you for your appreciation, glad that you liked my work. :)

Very good choice, an excellent camera with very good performance.
The lens is very good one, most of my landscape and portrait shots are taken with this lens.

You can also try used lenses, but remember, avoid cheap third party lenses, save your money and buy a proper glass. Also keep in mind that your camera will only AF with AF-S lenses, any other lens will be operate as manual focus.

Regarding Institutes, there are a number of Institutes at Delhi and Google is your best friend. You can try online tutorials which are pretty basic and straight forward.

Finally, you own a D-SLR, which has almost no incremental cost of shooting, so go out and shoot as much as you can. You are your best critique and teacher.

Hope this help!.

Happy shooting. :)

Cheers on your purchase
You have made an excellent choice, D5100 has a very similar 16.2MP CMOS sensor to the one seen in D7000 and also shoots 1080pHD movies at a decent 4fps which kinda makes at par if not better than the compition.

Now start saving for a fast and furious lens. :) what a material world. hahaha....

Awesome pics you have in there :)

I have purchased D5100 and yeah the Kit lens, had no other choice actually.

Would start getting lenses once I understand the basics of shooting and understanding to operate it would be task in itself right now.

Right now I need a good bag to carry the camera as the default one is like a tipin to carry food.

...and an institute that teaches photography, just not at the cost of ones arm and leg.

Check ebay you can find a decent bag for INR1500.00 and up
http://www.ebay.in/itm/New-Lowepro-Adventura160-Shoulder-Bag-Nikon-Canon-Sony-DSLR-Bag-UV-FILTER-/230723819796?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_203&hash=item35b8361914#ht_2975wt_1139

i would be very much interested in buying the Sony DSC RX100 provided i can get a good offer for my old dsc r1. i want to sell it along with the camcorder i purchased 2 years ago which turned out to be a very bad deal considering i have no real use for a camcorder. :D the model i have is Sony Handycam HDR-XR520. anyone interested? contact me :D

Now start saving for a fast and furious lens. :) what a material world. hahaha....

Check ebay you can find a decent bag for INR1500.00 and up
New Lowepro Adventura160 Shoulder Bag for Nikon, Canon, Sony DSLR Bag+UV FILTER | eBay

Yeah! I selected the same bag but the 170 model.

Looks to be a decent beginners bag with okish space.

Material world? Indeed, Nikon has given me 4 GB Class 4 SDHC Card and if I start shooting at burst mode RAW?

Then you can imagine what happens.

Material world? Indeed, Nikon has given me 4 GB Class 4 SDHC Card and if I start shooting at burst mode RAQ, then you can imagine what happens.

I would recommend to invest in a some kind of class 10, 16Gb card (at least )
i personally prefer SanDisk Extreme pro, but even SanDisk Extreme should be ok.
If you shoot Raw and HD video 4GB class 4 is going to choke.

Yeah! I selected the same bag but the 170 model.

Looks to be a decent beginners bag with okish space.

Material world? Indeed, Nikon has given me 4 GB Class 4 SDHC Card and if I start shooting at burst mode RAW?

Then you can imagine what happens.

Keep a track on Flipkart, they sometimes have stocks of 8GB Class 10 Verbatim cards for about 350/-. Very good card for starters. If you are not shooting fast action shots or Bird in Flight, you are in no need to buy extreme range of cards, which are much more costlier and is not very good investment for general use. Stick with 8GB cards, buy multiple, but avoid bigger sized ones, because if you have any card corrupted, you may loose far more number of images in case of larger cards, the probability of loosing images reduces for smaller sized ones, and from that point of view 8GB is optimum size.

Keep a track on Flipkart, they sometimes have stocks of 8GB Class 10 Verbatim cards for about 350/-. Very good card for starters. If you are not shooting fast action shots or Bird in Flight, you are in no need to buy extreme range of cards, which are much more costlier and is not very good investment for general use. Stick with 8GB cards, buy multiple, but avoid bigger sized ones, because if you have any card corrupted, you may loose far more number of images in case of larger cards, the probability of loosing images reduces for smaller sized ones, and from that point of view 8GB is optimum size.

Thanks for the suggestion, I was thinking the same. Get multiple Cards instead of investing on just one with more capacity.

I am more into bokeh type of shooting and capturing movements of people in their spontaneous movement. Just like that of a 3 year old?

Actually, am facing challenge here, I try to increase the shutter speed to keep up with fast moving objects and I fail with blurry images.

Or under exposed images, the ? symbol glows, that says to decrease the shutter speed as there is not enough light.

I know that it means light is not proper, I tried to change ISO settings but, not much of a difference.

It stops blinking if I enable flash, but default flash is not that great or should I say, doesn't contribute much.

I really want to learn how to freeze the subject :)

I guess, I should start a new thread on photography.

Back