The Offtopic Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter coming soon
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 2,209
  • Views Views 5,475
@netseeker Only BSNL has decent coverage. BSNL is the most prominent. Airtel on the other hand, given the size of the company and the opportunities they had in the past to expand their wired broadband network. They are nothing but a failure in the wired broadband segment.

India had 18 million wired broadband subscribers until November 2018. Current statistics affirm that BSNL boasts the highest number of subscribers at 9.17 million users, Airtel at 2.26 million subscribers while ACT has 1.38 million users. BSNL has half the market share of wired broadband.
Oops my bad, you are right:oops:. I straight away pulled the statistic for all of Airtel's customers I guess. When it comes to wired broadband Airtel does lag far behind BSNL. This is mainly due to Airtel's greedy rush into Africa trying to copy developed countries.

Source: The damn ceo of airtel, sunil mittal.

DELETE

Last edited by a moderator:
Whilst it is admirable that they insist on the underground deployment, getting any Municipality to sign off for any type of underground work is a hard job in itself. Not to mention the fact that underground deployment is time-consuming and expensive.

Airtel has neither time nor capital. Airtel has to take steps quickly rather than dilly-dallying.

Last edited:
DELETE

Last edited by a moderator:
I called an Airtel Executive for landline/ broadband at my office, I asked for their best offer, since I was aware of other/ secret/ retention plans. He struck a deal, but then never turned up and instead passed the enquiry to other Airtel executives who kept on insisting on regular plan. After waiting for 3-4 days for the execuitve to revert back, I called up Excitel got the 50Mbps plan.

What is the fun of it, if you escalate the cost twice/ thrice and then offer discounts/ retention plans. It should be straight forward and reasonable price.

Can anyone tell me whether Airtel broadband is good in Kolkata? I don't have Alliance in my area and BSNL FTTH is getting pathetic. I know for a fact that Airtel is available because they put up fliers a couple of months ago :3

Yeah, Meanwhile. Jio and Tata is deploying lines overhead.

There is another reason, Airtel wants to upgrade is because their copper lines now have moisture on it which can't sustain for coming years anymore. Overall, they are forced because of competition, technology advancement and requirement of the customer.

Whatever it is, Airtel FTTH is the best you would wish for.

Same Day Fix.
You get what you pay.
Most Stable
Better Hierarchy in customer support. (Reaching to Nodal Team means risk of job for ground-level team).
Stable Routing.

Jio doesn't have a lot of stuff from above specially Routing.

Airtel very well understands that now if they don't upgrade their tech, they will start loosing customers to other ISPs very fast. Since, a lot of people don't want landline anymore if they get mobile network at their home.

So moving from Airtel to other ISPs is easier on customer side.

At the end, it boils down to the MCD's approval for the deployment. Airtel is ready to do full FTTH Delhi Wide.
Well lets just hope they get approval from MCDs and get it done in the next 5 years. You saw long it took for Jio to roll out FTTH with their sub par overhead cabling. MCDs are the WORST possible hurdle an ISP can face. These in-efficient low level corrupt offices can stop development dead in it's tracks!

Back