The Quad Core Party...

• Thread starter Thread starter vishalrao
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 43
  • Views Views 8,125
hopefully their GPUs will help their financial situation... i really wish they dont go under...

Yaa Intel needs someone to keep kicking their b**ls. Just like MS needed Firefox to spend some $$$ on browser.

Sorry to be a little off topic here, but how hard/easy is it to change processors and motherboards. Say you have a desktop given to you by your office for use at home. things like RAM, Graphics cards etc. are easy to just pop-in while you are using the computer, and they take out when you have to return the computer. But is this so for motherboards / processors?

well you can pop in motherboard and cpu then replace it back with old ones when returning the pc to office. but you will face more OS issues with detecting motherboard and drivers etc... it might mess up windows setup, not sure about linux

Other issue is comatibility, motherboard might not work with the RAM that you have, Grafix card.And fixing CPU on motherboard is not easy. Its easy to kill CPU if it is not connected to heat sick properly.

and installing the heat sink requires glue etc. right? Basically this is not easy is the answer right?(Also let's assume the new motherboard does work with the RAM, graphics card).So let's say I get a new motherboard and a new processor. Then I stick the new processor onto the new motherboard. So now, how hard is it to replace the old motherboard+processor with the new motherboard+processor and vice-versa when the PC has to be returned?

Its not hard per se... but its very easy to go wrong. Things like USB cable / Front audio cable will have connectors that will end in jumpers on motherboard. And if you reverse some (E.g. USB) you can very easily kill some chip.Processor/ RAM /Card are good in sense you can't install then in reverse direction, but thats not the case with jumbers.OTOH... local PC guy might be willing to do this for 200 Rs for you.

Ok, I wouldn't want to screw things up, and since I've never done this before, I wouldn't want to attempt it if it's not easy-peasy!So would it be a quick job for the guys in Nehru Place (i.e. to upgrade and then to downgrade when the time comes?), and does it require much change in terms of BIOS / Software / OS?

Yaa it should be an easy job for any shop that assembles PCs regularly. Not much change in OS, only thing is you need to install drivers for new motherboard.

SO do you do that before or after you put the new motherboard? And then what happens when you want to put the old motherboard and processor back?Also, don't you need to change anything in the BIOS?

Back