The Quad Core Party...

• Thread starter Thread starter vishalrao
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 43
  • Views Views 8,125
Yeah, it does support DDR2. And I just popped the computer open and saw that the RAM slots are coloured black-white-black-white, so I assume it has dual channel.Since 2 x 1GB DDR2-633 is at Rs. 2,200, I might as well go for that option so that I don't have to deal with RAM ever again for the lifetime of this PC. Here I am assuming that there is a noticeable / significant difference between (2 x 1GB) dual channel and (2 x 512MB) dual channel.Do shops in Nehru Place take back RAM chips, or am I better off selling to a friend? With regard to either of the option what's a good price to get for a 512MB DDR2-533 chip?

600 .

cool - another small question - would I be better off getting 3 more 512MB DDR2-533 chips and doing two rows of dual channels (i.e. 4 chips) instead of (2 x 1GB), both cost-wise and performance wise?

p.s. Just saw Compaq's PDF on the Hardware Reference Guide of my model, and noticed that the RAM upgrading section says that the DIMMS must be "unbuffered PC3200 400MHz-compliant or PC4300 533-MHz-compliant" so I guess 633MHz is out of the question.

It also says:
The system will operate in a higher-performing dual channel
Interleaved mode if the total memory capacity of the DIMMs in
Channel A is equal to the total memory capacity of the DIMMs in
Channel B. However, the technology and device width can vary
between the channels. For example, if Channel A is populated
with two 256MB DIMMS and Channel B is populated with one
512MB DIMM, the system will operate in Interleaved mode.

4 X 512 MB may be slightly better than 2 X 1 GB but there is a huge drawback interms of upgradeablity... if u r going to upgrade to more than 2 gb then u have to throw away those 512 Mb chips... or you can do this :P

and you dont really need 633MHz because P4 FSB speed is way lower...
633Mhz will be good for Dual Core Pentium and 800Mhz+ for Core 2 duo

Heh, I guess I'll stick with 2 x 1GB at 533 MHz then. I suppose it's the same price as 667 MHz.

Yah many intel boards only support 533 mhz ram . Also i know atleast one Asus based board (a8n-vm) in which if u modulate all 4 ram slot it goes in dual channel for both but will reduce frequency of all 4 rams . You should know if your board does this or not . If thats the case then 2 x 1 GB will be anyways better than 4 x 512 mb . so go for 2 x 1 GB to be on safest side .

maybe there will be no quad core party... some news/blogs today about AMD having reliability/performance issues with Barcelona/Opteron/Phenom :( and they're being sneaky/evil about it too...

Yeh all latest quadcore's phenoms and penryns have a bug in TLB logic . They have a bios fix for issue but that puts performance penalty of 10-20 % . So its better to wait rather than carry this 20% penalty .

Back